Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Fresh from the drawing table... Yeti!

I have for you today another drawing that is fresh from the drawing table. This time around it is a Yeti! "Y" offered up just one monster option so again, the decision making process went quickly and smoothly. I can't complain the option is a big arctic monkey man monster. I present to you my version of a Yeti...


Yeti
© 2011 Christopher Burdett

The Yeti is one of those 'trying to redesign the wheel' situations. You can go completely off into left field with it and make it almost unrecognizable or you can just give the established look your own spin. I went with the latter. Hard to go wrong with a big monkey man monster. For this one I just wanted to have fun... of course I am trying to have fun with all of them, but I had not expectations for this piece beyond having fun. One item of note, I almost let myself fall into some bad habits on this one. I had some fun reference of myself in the monkey man throwing pose you see here but when it came to the face I was just winging it and it was quickly going all wrong. I grabbed some reference and looked at some ape faces, seeing what makes them different then humans, especially nose shape and placement. Another disaster, narrowly averted! Thank you reference, how could we have every done it without you?


My first 100 original Dungeons & Dragons Monster Manual redesigns (A - Z): Aerial Servant, Ankheg, Ant (Giant), Ape (Carnivorous), Ape (Gorilla), Axe Beak, Axe Beak (version 2), Baboon, Badger, Barracuda, Basilisk, Baluchitherium, Bear (Black), Bear (Brown), Bear (Cave), Beaver (Giant), Beetle (Giant) - Bombardier, Beetle (Giant) - Boring, Beetle (Giant) - Fire, Beetle (Giant) - Rhinoceros, Beetle (Giant) - Stag, Beetle (Giant) - Water, Beholder, Black Pudding, Blink Dog, Boar (Giant), Boar (Warthog), Boar (Wild), Brain Mole, Brownie, Bugbear, Buffalo, Bulette, Carrion Crawler, Catoblepas, Cerebral Parasite, Chimera, Cockatrice, Coutal, Crab (Giant), Demon Type III (Glabrezu), Demon (Juiblex), Demon (Manes), Devil (Ice), Dragon (Red), Elemental (Earth), Ettin, Eye of the Deep, Flightless Bird, Frog (Giant), Fungi (Violet), Giant (Hill), Goblin, Golem (Flesh), Hobgoblin, Homunculus, Hydra, Imp, Intellect Devourer, Ixitxachitl, Jackal, Jacklewere, Jaguar, Ki-Rin, Kobold, Lich, Lizard (Giant), Lizardman, Manticore, Mind Flayer, Minotaur, Naga, Neo-Otygugh, Nixie, Ochre Jelly, Ogre, Owlbear, Peryton, Pixie, Purple Worm, Quasit, Ram (Giant), Roper, Rust Monster, Sahuagin, Salamander, Shambling Mound, Treant, Troglodyte, Troll, Umber Hulk, Unicorn, Vampire, Wasp (Giant), Wight, Wyvern, Xorn, Yeti, and Zombie.      

That is all for today, see you back here on Friday for the first installment of work I have been sitting on since 2008! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact
me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

1 comment:

  1. I love the strong, consistent point of view that accentuates the already concrete form. It bugs me when up-close character shots lack that, although I understand why concept artists would go for it.

    But I digress, excellent stuff!

    ReplyDelete