Monday, December 13, 2010

Fresh from the drawing table... Lizardman!

I have for you today another drawing that is fresh from the drawing table. This time around it is a Lizardman! "L" had so many tempting options but when it came down to it I had only one real choice. Looking at some of my recent D&D work would almost think I have some sort of affinity for big scaly reptile creatures. I present to you my version of a Lizardman...

Lizardman
© 2010 Christopher Burdett

Much like the Kobold I designed I had to really stop my first instincts with the Lizardman and come at it with fresh eyes. Having had a history of drawing my own Lizardmen based on the official D&D look I really had to push myself in a new direction. I decided that an even more primitive Lizardman creature would be interesting since I went with a more developed creature for the Kobold. Pressing forward I went with a creature to me at least had a dinosaur feel. I tried to keep the weapons and adornment primitive yet interesting. A savage scouting group of Lizardmen barbarians leap from the high reeds and descend on the players...

As a young D&D player the Lizardmen were both a really interesting monster and player race for me. Targus the Brave, where are you now?

My first 100 original Dungeons & Dragons Monster Manual redesigns (A - Z): Aerial Servant, Ankheg, Ant (Giant), Ape (Carnivorous), Ape (Gorilla), Axe Beak, Axe Beak (version 2), Baboon, Badger, Barracuda, Basilisk, Baluchitherium, Bear (Black), Bear (Brown), Bear (Cave), Beaver (Giant), Beetle (Giant) - Bombardier, Beetle (Giant) - Boring, Beetle (Giant) - Fire, Beetle (Giant) - Rhinoceros, Beetle (Giant) - Stag, Beetle (Giant) - Water, Beholder, Black Pudding, Blink Dog, Boar (Giant), Boar (Warthog), Boar (Wild), Brain Mole, Brownie, Bugbear, Buffalo, Bulette, Carrion Crawler, Catoblepas, Cerebral Parasite, Chimera, Cockatrice, Coutal, Crab (Giant), Demon Type III (Glabrezu), Demon (Juiblex), Demon (Manes), Devil (Ice), Dragon (Red), Elemental (Earth), Ettin, Eye of the Deep, Flightless Bird, Frog (Giant), Fungi (Violet), Giant (Hill), Goblin, Golem (Flesh), Hobgoblin, Homunculus, Hydra, Imp, Intellect Devourer, Ixitxachitl, Jackal, Jacklewere, Jaguar, Ki-Rin, Kobold, Lich, Lizard (Giant), Lizardman, Manticore, Mind Flayer, Minotaur, Naga, Neo-Otygugh, Nixie, Ochre Jelly, Ogre, Owlbear, Peryton, Pixie, Purple Worm, Quasit, Ram (Giant), Roper, Rust Monster, Sahuagin, Salamander, Shambling Mound, Treant, Troglodyte, Troll, Umber Hulk, Unicorn, Vampire, Wasp (Giant), Wight, Wyvern, Xorn, Yeti, and Zombie.     

That is all for today. I hope to have something new and interesting for you on Wednesday. Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact
me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

1 comment:

  1. I like the fresh look you brought to it - and all the details. Jeff Rients has written about the downside of the concept of "official" monster designs by WOTC, in that it takes away a chance for the DM to be creative and describe what goblins, hobgoblins, etc look like in his own campaign.

    ReplyDelete