Monday, September 3, 2012

Fresh from the drawing table... Carrion Crawler!

I have for you another drawing that is fresh from the drawing table. This time around it is a Carrion Crawler! "C" has a lot to choose from still, so on this third time around it was a little hard to pick a winner. I have already received some requests for some that people would like me to do, but I had already started this one, so on the fourth pass. On this third pass it was hard to not pick the giant crazy insect beast that wonders through cave eating the dead and attacking the living. I present to you my version of a Carrion Crawler...  

Carrion Crawler
© 2012 Christopher Burdett

I have been looking at a lot of grubs and larvae images recently and it seemed like a good fit for the redesign of the Carrion Crawler. It already has tentacles, so it was darn near perfect where it was, so I just wanted to flesh it out and maybe bring a bit more realism to the beast. I thought it would be interesting if it had all its feet in the front dragging the huge bloated form behind. Unfortunately, someone pointed out after the fact that this design reminded them of a creature they have seen before... which I can now kind of see... which bums me out. Not that there is really any new ideas out there... but I wish I had caught it earlier. I think once it is in color it will feel a lot more different.  

My first 100 original Dungeons & Dragons Monster Manual redesigns (A - Z): Aerial Servant, Ankheg, Ant (Giant), Ape (Carnivorous), Ape (Gorilla), Axe Beak, Axe Beak (version 2), Baboon, Badger, Barracuda, Basilisk, Baluchitherium, Bear (Black), Bear (Brown), Bear (Cave), Beaver (Giant), Beetle (Giant) - Bombardier, Beetle (Giant) - Boring, Beetle (Giant) - Fire, Beetle (Giant) - Rhinoceros, Beetle (Giant) - Stag, Beetle (Giant) - Water, Beholder, Black Pudding, Blink Dog, Boar (Giant), Boar (Warthog), Boar (Wild), Brain Mole, Brownie, Bugbear, Buffalo, Bulette, Carrion Crawler, Catoblepas, Cerebral Parasite, Chimera, Cockatrice, Coutal, Crab (Giant), Demon Type III (Glabrezu), Demon (Juiblex), Demon (Manes), Devil (Ice), Dragon (Red), Elemental (Earth), Ettin, Eye of the Deep, Flightless Bird, Frog (Giant), Fungi (Violet), Giant (Hill), Goblin, Golem (Flesh), Hobgoblin, Homunculus, Hydra, Imp, Intellect Devourer, Ixitxachitl, Jackal, Jacklewere, Jaguar, Ki-Rin, Kobold, Lich, Lizard (Giant), Lizardman, Manticore, Mind Flayer, Minotaur, Naga, Neo-Otygugh, Nixie, Ochre Jelly, Ogre, Owlbear, Peryton, Pixie, Purple Worm, Quasit, Ram (Giant), Roper, Rust Monster, Sahuagin, Salamander, Shambling Mound, Treant, Troglodyte, Troll, Umber Hulk, Unicorn, Vampire, Wasp (Giant), Wight, Wyvern, Xorn, Yeti, and Zombie.      

See you back here on Wednesday with some new Dungeons and Dragons work! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

7 comments:

  1. I can't help but imagine putting on a lot of stepping shoes on that creature and let it loose on a hardboard floor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or have it chase the adventurers across a giant chalkboard...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bugs don't usually freak me out (with the exception of earwigs) but I would shriek like a big !@#$%^&* girl at the site of this thing. If your bum out was because someone said it looks like the brain bug from Starship Troopers, don't worry, yours is way awesomer simply because it has tentacles and spikes!

    I like the skull, but it scales it down too much. I'm picturing this thing the size of a bus. [shudder]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reevaluating the size is part of the redesign process and not all of the monsters can be huge.

      Actually, the brain bug was never part of the comparison. I guess that is two now. I guess I will shred the drawing and start over on a later day.

      Delete
    2. Sorry to increase the bum out factor, mad wizard. It still looks incredible and we all know you had fun doing it. Do what makes you happy. We don't all possess such talent.

      Delete