Friday, October 19, 2012

Fresh from the drawing table... Flightless Bird!

I have for you another drawing that is fresh from the drawing table. This time around it is a Flightless Bird! This is the last official entry for the letter "F" in the original D&D Monster Manual. When I think of monsters I don't usually think of the ostrich (unless in is the rhinostrich), emu, and rhea... but they are in the Monster Manual and I will be sure to include them. I present to you my version of a Flightless Bird...  

Flightless Bird
© 2012 Christopher Burdett

I was and still am a little dissatisfied with how the Jaguar turned out. I swore to myself that the remaining mundane entries in the Monster Manual will be more interesting and feel like they exist in my D&D world. With that in mind I moved forward on the Flightless Bird with a wider idea of how to depict what is essentially just an animal. I thought it would be really fun (and I really wanted to draw it) to depict the ostrich as a mount and have some smaller creature riding it. I thought about using a previous entry as the rider, but I decided to go with a fully armored small figure to hopefully distract less from the bird. The only problem is that if there was a video game that came out 30 years ago and involved a FLYING bird like creature that the second you put an armored figure on a bird you are obviously drawing something from said video game. Oh well... it was fun to draw...

My first 100 original Dungeons & Dragons Monster Manual redesigns (A - Z): Aerial Servant, Ankheg, Ant (Giant), Ape (Carnivorous), Ape (Gorilla), Axe Beak, Axe Beak (version 2), Baboon, Badger, Barracuda, Basilisk, Baluchitherium, Bear (Black), Bear (Brown), Bear (Cave), Beaver (Giant), Beetle (Giant) - Bombardier, Beetle (Giant) - Boring, Beetle (Giant) - Fire, Beetle (Giant) - Rhinoceros, Beetle (Giant) - Stag, Beetle (Giant) - Water, Beholder, Black Pudding, Blink Dog, Boar (Giant), Boar (Warthog), Boar (Wild), Brain Mole, Brownie, Bugbear, Buffalo, Bulette, Carrion Crawler, Catoblepas, Cerebral Parasite, Chimera, Cockatrice, Coutal, Crab (Giant), Demon Type III (Glabrezu), Demon (Juiblex), Demon (Manes), Devil (Ice), Dragon (Red), Elemental (Earth), Ettin, Eye of the Deep, Flightless Bird, Frog (Giant), Fungi (Violet), Giant (Hill), Goblin, Golem (Flesh), Hobgoblin, Homunculus, Hydra, Imp, Intellect Devourer, Ixitxachitl, Jackal, Jacklewere, Jaguar, Ki-Rin, Kobold, Lich, Lizard (Giant), Lizardman, Manticore, Mind Flayer, Minotaur, Naga, Neo-Otygugh, Nixie, Ochre Jelly, Ogre, Owlbear, Peryton, Pixie, Purple Worm, Quasit, Ram (Giant), Roper, Rust Monster, Sahuagin, Salamander, Shambling Mound, Treant, Troglodyte, Troll, Umber Hulk, Unicorn, Vampire, Wasp (Giant), Wight, Wyvern, Xorn, Yeti, and Zombie.     

That is all for another exciting week on the blog, I will see you back here on Monday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

2 comments:

  1. I love the armor! That's a wicked chest spike. And I think it's a great idea to use an ostrich as a goblin/halfling mount. I don't know what game you're talking about, so I call this an original idea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Not sure what the rider is, but the important part is the bird.

      Delete