Friday, May 11, 2012

Fresh from the drawing table... Roper!

I have for you another drawing that is fresh from the drawing table. This time around it is a Roper! 'Q' only had one creature and that was taken care of the first time through, so we are jumping ahead to 'R'. 'R' has a hand full of interesting monsters and I have been hemming and hawing about which to do next. In the end I went with the creature that had tentacles! I present to you my version of a Roper... 

Roper
© 2012 Christopher Burdett

I am pretty sure I started drawing this but along the way my brain turned off and I just got lost in swirly twisting tentacles. Not sure how much of a redesign this is or how good of a drawing it is... there are just a lot of tentacles. It came out a little flatter then I had planned, but the other aspects: lots of eyes, tentacles, and a spiraling mouth that runs the length of its body all made it in. I imagined the Roper as being the manifestation of some some deep horror berried deep in the ground and the Roper is just a hint of want dwells below. The fowl taint has reached up to corrupt a section of the cave and woe to the adventure who finds themselves within the grasp of a Roper. 

My first 100 original Dungeons & Dragons Monster Manual redesigns (A - Z): Aerial Servant, Ankheg, Ant (Giant), Ape (Carnivorous), Ape (Gorilla), Axe Beak, Axe Beak (version 2), Baboon, Badger, Barracuda, Basilisk, Baluchitherium, Bear (Black), Bear (Brown), Bear (Cave), Beaver (Giant), Beetle (Giant) - Bombardier, Beetle (Giant) - Boring, Beetle (Giant) - Fire, Beetle (Giant) - Rhinoceros, Beetle (Giant) - Stag, Beetle (Giant) - Water, Beholder, Black Pudding, Blink Dog, Boar (Giant), Boar (Warthog), Boar (Wild), Brain Mole, Brownie, Bugbear, Buffalo, Bulette, Carrion Crawler, Catoblepas, Cerebral Parasite, Chimera, Cockatrice, Coutal, Crab (Giant), Demon Type III (Glabrezu), Demon (Juiblex), Demon (Manes), Devil (Ice), Dragon (Red), Elemental (Earth), Ettin, Eye of the Deep, Flightless Bird, Frog (Giant), Fungi (Violet), Giant (Hill), Goblin, Golem (Flesh), Hobgoblin, Homunculus, Hydra, Imp, Intellect Devourer, Ixitxachitl, Jackal, Jacklewere, Jaguar, Ki-Rin, Kobold, Lich, Lizard (Giant), Lizardman, Manticore, Mind Flayer, Minotaur, Naga, Neo-Otygugh, Nixie, Ochre Jelly, Ogre, Owlbear, Peryton, Pixie, Purple Worm, Quasit, Ram (Giant), Roper, Rust Monster, Sahuagin, Salamander, Shambling Mound, Treant, Troglodyte, Troll, Umber Hulk, Unicorn, Vampire, Wasp (Giant), Wight, Wyvern, Xorn, Yeti, and Zombie.        

That is all for another exciting week on the blog, see you back here on Monday for something new! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

3 comments:

  1. Now wait just a minute. I feel cheated. How can you skip Q when you have the option of Quetzalcoatl? Or did you already do that? If you have reimagined a feathered serpent before don't mind me, but how about 2 Rs in that case? I just can't get enough. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going through the original D&D Monster Manual and only the original D&D MM. It has a lot of personal significance for me that I have mentioned several time here on the blog. I am going A-Z one monster per letter on each pass. This is my second pass so there will be some missed letters. In the MM there was only one 'Q', 'V', 'X', 'Y', and 'Z'. On this second pass I completed 'K' and will be completing 'U'. The third pass will see a couple more letters finished. Letters like 'D' and 'G' will keep me busy for a LOOOOONG time, there are a lot of dragons, dinosaurs, demons, devils, and giants to cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as I get my weekly fix of tentacled goodness I shall remain satiated. Keep up the awesomes!

      Delete