Friday, December 14, 2012

Fresh from the drawing table... Ixitxachitl!

I have for you another drawing that is fresh from the drawing table. This time around it is a Ixitxachitl! "I" slowly but surely is running out, there are still monster to choose from, but "I" was never a letter with a lot of options. When my other choices are the Invisible Stalker (blank sheet of paper) or the Irish Deer, it makes picking the Ix... Ixit... Ix... ah, um... Ixitxachitl (ish-it-SHACH-itl or iks-it-ZATCH-i-til) a lot easier. I present to you my version of a Ixitxachitl…   

Ixitxachitl
© 2012 Christopher Burdett

Intelligent, aquatic, manta ray like creatures... check, check, and check... what's not to like? For me, a lot of that. I just never could get behind these guys as a monster as described. They are intelligent, poses magic abilities, have societies, enslave creatures to use as labor... and yet they are just manta rays. I would get it if they had telekinetic powers but they never seemed to have anything going on except for a mouth full of teeth and a barbed tail. Seems like they need some arms or something. I might be a speciesist, but you really need to have some arms in my book (or crazy mind powers) to have the kind of life style described for the Ixitxachitl. In the end, my biggest change to the Ixitxachitl is to give it some much needed arms (IMHO) and for me, it becomes a much larger and more believable threat. This is why the dolphin will never be a threat to human and why we will eventually have to stop the octopus upraising of 3245...

My first 100 original Dungeons & Dragons Monster Manual redesigns (A - Z): Aerial Servant, Ankheg, Ant (Giant), Ape (Carnivorous), Ape (Gorilla), Axe Beak, Axe Beak (version 2), Baboon, Badger, Barracuda, Basilisk, Baluchitherium, Bear (Black), Bear (Brown), Bear (Cave), Beaver (Giant), Beetle (Giant) - Bombardier, Beetle (Giant) - Boring, Beetle (Giant) - Fire, Beetle (Giant) - Rhinoceros, Beetle (Giant) - Stag, Beetle (Giant) - Water, Beholder, Black Pudding, Blink Dog, Boar (Giant), Boar (Warthog), Boar (Wild), Brain Mole, Brownie, Bugbear, Buffalo, Bulette, Carrion Crawler, Catoblepas, Cerebral Parasite, Chimera, Cockatrice, Coutal, Crab (Giant), Demon Type III (Glabrezu), Demon (Juiblex), Demon (Manes), Devil (Ice), Dragon (Red), Elemental (Earth), Ettin, Eye of the Deep, Flightless Bird, Frog (Giant), Fungi (Violet), Giant (Hill), Goblin, Golem (Flesh), Hobgoblin, Homunculus, Hydra, Imp, Intellect Devourer, Ixitxachitl, Jackal, Jacklewere, Jaguar, Ki-Rin, Kobold, Lich, Lizard (Giant), Lizardman, Manticore, Mind Flayer, Minotaur, Naga, Neo-Otygugh, Nixie, Ochre Jelly, Ogre, Owlbear, Peryton, Pixie, Purple Worm, Quasit, Ram (Giant), Roper, Rust Monster, Sahuagin, Salamander, Shambling Mound, Treant, Troglodyte, Troll, Umber Hulk, Unicorn, Vampire, Wasp (Giant), Wight, Wyvern, Xorn, Yeti, and Zombie.      

That is all for another exciting week on the blog, see you back here next week! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment