Friday, June 1, 2012

Fresh from the drawing table... Troglodyte!

I have for you another drawing that is fresh from the drawing table. This time around it is a Troglodyte! 'T' is one of those beefy letters that offers up a lot of tasty options for monsters. Much like several previous letters I skipped over my preferred monster on the first pass and went with a monster I did not a history with. I was tapped to redesign the Troglodyte for 4th edition D&D so I have some experience with one version of the Troglodyte. With all this in mind I tried to approach this beasty with a fresh pair of eyes on my second pass through the Monster Manual. I present to you my version of a Troglodyte ... 

 Troglodyte
© 2012 Christopher Burdett

If you were not already aware the Pan troglodytes is the scientific name for the common chimpanzee. This was my starting point for my new take on the Troglodyte. In D&D the Troglodyte has been a reptilian creature since the beginning and it is hard to go wrong with tradition, but I really needed to put my own spin on it. In the end I went with a scaly quasi reptilian monkey man primate creature. Hard to go wrong with a combination like that. It is just smart enough to be dangerous but not smart enough to know its own potential... the perfect thrall, minion, and or hired army.

As a side note, the next letter is 'U' and the only remaining 'U' monster is... the Unicorn... you have been warned...

My first 100 original Dungeons & Dragons Monster Manual redesigns (A - Z): Aerial Servant, Ankheg, Ant (Giant), Ape (Carnivorous), Ape (Gorilla), Axe Beak, Axe Beak (version 2), Baboon, Badger, Barracuda, Basilisk, Baluchitherium, Bear (Black), Bear (Brown), Bear (Cave), Beaver (Giant), Beetle (Giant) - Bombardier, Beetle (Giant) - Boring, Beetle (Giant) - Fire, Beetle (Giant) - Rhinoceros, Beetle (Giant) - Stag, Beetle (Giant) - Water, Beholder, Black Pudding, Blink Dog, Boar (Giant), Boar (Warthog), Boar (Wild), Brain Mole, Brownie, Bugbear, Buffalo, Bulette, Carrion Crawler, Catoblepas, Cerebral Parasite, Chimera, Cockatrice, Coutal, Crab (Giant), Demon Type III (Glabrezu), Demon (Juiblex), Demon (Manes), Devil (Ice), Dragon (Red), Elemental (Earth), Ettin, Eye of the Deep, Flightless Bird, Frog (Giant), Fungi (Violet), Giant (Hill), Goblin, Golem (Flesh), Hobgoblin, Homunculus, Hydra, Imp, Intellect Devourer, Ixitxachitl, Jackal, Jacklewere, Jaguar, Ki-Rin, Kobold, Lich, Lizard (Giant), Lizardman, Manticore, Mind Flayer, Minotaur, Naga, Neo-Otygugh, Nixie, Ochre Jelly, Ogre, Owlbear, Peryton, Pixie, Purple Worm, Quasit, Ram (Giant), Roper, Rust Monster, Sahuagin, Salamander, Shambling Mound, Treant, Troglodyte, Troll, Umber Hulk, Unicorn, Vampire, Wasp (Giant), Wight, Wyvern, Xorn, Yeti, and Zombie.        

That is all for another exciting week on the blog, see you back here on Monday. Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

4 comments:

  1. :D Many thanks! Glad to hear you are enjoying the work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the spines on his shoulders/upper arms and the seashell bracers are a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! Those two elements are favorites of mine too :)

    ReplyDelete