Monday, March 7, 2011

Fresh from the drawing table... Rust Monster!

I have for you today another drawing that is fresh from the drawing table. This time around it is a Rust Monster! "R" offered me several tempting choices and I had my selection locked until I was talking to my wife. She wondered why I had not picked the Rust Monster. I expressed my feeling that it is a little too iconic and besides, it has a propeller tail I would need to get rid of. She insisted I had to keep the propeller tail, so I got to thinking... what kind of monster has a propeller tail? I present to you my version of a Rust Monster...

Rust Monster
© 2011 Christopher Burdett

What kind of monster has a propeller tail? A constructed monster! I imagined these long forgotten machines of magic and lost knowledge wandered through dungeons and caves looking for precious metals to fuel their arcane workings. Were they merely an ancient form of recycling granted life through magic or the long lost foot soldiers of a long forgotten magical war? We will never know, but it is a good bet a wizard was involved, and you can not trust wizards... just look at that Owlbear! Needless to say, in my version of the Rust Monster the name more describes it's appearance rather then it's actions.

My first 100 original Dungeons & Dragons Monster Manual redesigns (A - Z): Aerial Servant, Ankheg, Ant (Giant), Ape (Carnivorous), Ape (Gorilla), Axe Beak, Axe Beak (version 2), Baboon, Badger, Barracuda, Basilisk, Baluchitherium, Bear (Black), Bear (Brown), Bear (Cave), Beaver (Giant), Beetle (Giant) - Bombardier, Beetle (Giant) - Boring, Beetle (Giant) - Fire, Beetle (Giant) - Rhinoceros, Beetle (Giant) - Stag, Beetle (Giant) - Water, Beholder, Black Pudding, Blink Dog, Boar (Giant), Boar (Warthog), Boar (Wild), Brain Mole, Brownie, Bugbear, Buffalo, Bulette, Carrion Crawler, Catoblepas, Cerebral Parasite, Chimera, Cockatrice, Coutal, Crab (Giant), Demon Type III (Glabrezu), Demon (Juiblex), Demon (Manes), Devil (Ice), Dragon (Red), Elemental (Earth), Ettin, Eye of the Deep, Flightless Bird, Frog (Giant), Fungi (Violet), Giant (Hill), Goblin, Golem (Flesh), Hobgoblin, Homunculus, Hydra, Imp, Intellect Devourer, Ixitxachitl, Jackal, Jacklewere, Jaguar, Ki-Rin, Kobold, Lich, Lizard (Giant), Lizardman, Manticore, Mind Flayer, Minotaur, Naga, Neo-Otygugh, Nixie, Ochre Jelly, Ogre, Owlbear, Peryton, Pixie, Purple Worm, Quasit, Ram (Giant), Roper, Rust Monster, Sahuagin, Salamander, Shambling Mound, Treant, Troglodyte, Troll, Umber Hulk, Unicorn, Vampire, Wasp (Giant), Wight, Wyvern, Xorn, Yeti, and Zombie.       
 
That is all for today, see you back here on Wednesday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact
me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

4 comments:

  1. Nice design, and I like that it has fun with the original rather than poking fun with the original. And of course wizards were involved - rust monsters help level the playing field against those damn metal-wearing classes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Matt! Glad you like what I came up with, and thanks so much for the repost! :) Much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny, how you almost never birthed this excellent design. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Far too often I find myself in this situation, Jonathan. It is really kind of weird. Just glad things seem to keep working out for the best and these critters make it into the world.

    ReplyDelete