Friday, February 1, 2013

Fresh from the drawing table... Neo-Otyugh!

I have for you another drawing that is fresh from the drawing table. This time around it is a NEO-OTYUGH! Let's get this out of the way, it can be pronounced /ˈɒtjəɡ/ or /ˈɒtjuː/...or how I pronounce it /UH-teh-Jah/. Arriving at "N" again I realized the picking were getting slim. So I picked NEW of the Otyugh. After the Neo-Otyugh, "N" has only a sexy lady monster, a scary old lady monster and a horsy monster left for me to tackle. Decided to go with the tentacled horror while I could! I present to you my version of a Neo-Otyugh…     

Neo-Otyugh
© 2013 Christopher Burdett

That fact that I designed my Neo-Otyugh before first designing my Otyugh was not lost on me. The whole time I was working on this every time I would make a design choice I would stop myself and then dial it up a notch more. A few more tentacles? NOPE, a WHOLE LOT more tentacles. There is a part of me that is a little worried that when I get back around to doing the Otyugh that it is going to get up looking frumpy compared to this one. This is just something I will have to be mindful of when that time comes. Going into this one I thought it was going to be really straight forward and pour off the pencil... I was wrong. There were a few discarded starts for this monster and a lot of it had to go with coming up with a pleasing anatomical arrangement and composition. You can't just throw tentacles onto something just anywhere! There is a flow and method to the tentacle madness... RAWR!

My first 100 original Dungeons & Dragons Monster Manual redesigns (A - Z): Aerial Servant, Ankheg, Ant (Giant), Ape (Carnivorous), Ape (Gorilla), Axe Beak, Axe Beak (version 2), Baboon, Badger, Barracuda, Basilisk, Baluchitherium, Bear (Black), Bear (Brown), Bear (Cave), Beaver (Giant), Beetle (Giant) - Bombardier, Beetle (Giant) - Boring, Beetle (Giant) - Fire, Beetle (Giant) - Rhinoceros, Beetle (Giant) - Stag, Beetle (Giant) - Water, Beholder, Black Pudding, Blink Dog, Boar (Giant), Boar (Warthog), Boar (Wild), Brain Mole, Brownie, Bugbear, Buffalo, Bulette, Carrion Crawler, Catoblepas, Cerebral Parasite, Chimera, Cockatrice, Coutal, Crab (Giant), Demon Type III (Glabrezu), Demon (Juiblex), Demon (Manes), Devil (Ice), Dragon (Red), Elemental (Earth), Ettin, Eye of the Deep, Flightless Bird, Frog (Giant), Fungi (Violet), Giant (Hill), Goblin, Golem (Flesh), Hobgoblin, Homunculus, Hydra, Imp, Intellect Devourer, Ixitxachitl, Jackal, Jacklewere, Jaguar, Ki-Rin, Kobold, Lich, Lizard (Giant), Lizardman, Manticore, Mind Flayer, Minotaur, Naga, Neo-Otygugh, Nixie, Ochre Jelly, Ogre, Owlbear, Peryton, Pixie, Purple Worm, Quasit, Ram (Giant), Roper, Rust Monster, Sahuagin, Salamander, Shambling Mound, Treant, Troglodyte, Troll, Umber Hulk, Unicorn, Vampire, Wasp (Giant), Wight, Wyvern, Xorn, Yeti, and Zombie.      

That is all for another exciting week on the blog, see you back here on Monday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

2 comments:

  1. That's really freaky because the legs look like a bunch of skittery fingers. The otyugh has always been an awesome critter because I can imagine the smell of it. You really did that stench justice ;) Adding tentacles results in extra awesome 99.9% of the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :) Yeah, I really wanted to give it creepy legs/feet.. just adds to the overall effect I feel. Now I just have to figure out how to dial it down for the normal Otyugh...

      Delete