Friday, January 15, 2016

Fresh from the drawing table... Coutal!

I have for you another drawing that is fresh from the drawing table. This time around it is a Coutal! Continuing with "C" monsters, I have for you today and mighty feathered serpent inspired from the beliefs from Central America. I present to you my version of a Coutal… 

Coutal
9 x 12
Pencil on paper
Original - Currently not available
© 2016 Christopher Burdett

I like scales, but I am not necessarily a fan of feathers in the same way I am not necessarily a fan of fur. Scales though, are fun. So a Coutal gives me some of what I like and some of what I don't go running for. When I visited the Yucatan I saw many images and sculptures of serpents and feathered serpents. Those images stuck around with me and I keep them in mind as I designed my version of the Coutal. Not sure if a crazed wizard had anything to do with this or if the Coutal just kinda happened on their own. Weird stuff slips in from other realities all the time. Maybe there is another world where the highest form of life is feathered snakes...

My first 100 original Dungeons & Dragons Monster Manual redesigns (A - Z): Aerial Servant, Ankheg, Ant (Giant), Ape (Carnivorous), Ape (Gorilla), Axe Beak, Axe Beak (version 2), Baboon, Badger, Barracuda, Basilisk, Baluchitherium, Bear (Black), Bear (Brown), Bear (Cave), Beaver (Giant), Beetle (Giant) - Bombardier, Beetle (Giant) - Boring, Beetle (Giant) - Fire, Beetle (Giant) - Rhinoceros, Beetle (Giant) - Stag, Beetle (Giant) - Water, Beholder, Black Pudding, Blink Dog, Boar (Giant), Boar (Warthog), Boar (Wild), Brain Mole, Brownie, Bugbear, Buffalo, Bulette, Carrion Crawler, Catoblepas, Cerebral Parasite, Chimera, Cockatrice, Coutal, Crab (Giant), Demon Type III (Glabrezu), Demon (Juiblex), Demon (Manes), Devil (Ice), Dragon (Red), Elemental (Earth), Ettin, Eye of the Deep, Flightless Bird, Frog (Giant), Fungi (Violet), Giant (Hill), Goblin, Golem (Flesh), Hobgoblin, Homunculus, Hydra, Imp, Intellect Devourer, Ixitxachitl, Jackal, Jacklewere, Jaguar, Ki-Rin, Kobold, Lich, Lizard (Giant), Lizardman, Manticore, Mind Flayer, Minotaur, Naga, Neo-Otygugh, Nixie, Ochre Jelly, Ogre, Owlbear, Peryton, Pixie, Purple Worm, Quasit, Ram (Giant), Roper, Rust Monster, Sahuagin, Salamander, Shambling Mound, Treant, Troglodyte, Troll, Umber Hulk, Unicorn, Vampire, Wasp (Giant), Wight, Wyvern, Xorn, Yeti, and Zombie.      

That is all for another exciting week on the blog, see you back here on Monday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment