Friday, March 22, 2013

Fresh from the drawing table... Treant!

I have for you another drawing that is fresh from the drawing table. This time around it is a TREANT! "T" continues to offer up monsters of all shapes, sizes, and materials. This time around it is not an animal or mineral, but a plant that gets chosen. I present to you my version of a Treant…    

Treant
© 2013 Christopher Burdett

Lumbering tree monster? Sure thing! Lumbering tree monster that sings and recites poetry? I will leave that to others to deal with. The Treant was one of the earliest of the D&D monsters and was influenced by similar creatures appearing in the works of Tolkien. This is all documented and generally accepted so hopefully I am not stepping on toes by repeating it. Basically, what I am getting at is that the Ent / Treant has been around a while. There have been a lot of versions, variations and interpretations of it which always makes it hard to approach with a fresh angle. I decided to just dive in and bring my bag of tricks and design tastes and this is what I came up with. Not sure I even got remotely close to pushing the design enough... it is still very humanoid in my opinion. But that is okay, it has a bunch of eyes... If I ever do another I now have a "safe" version as a starting point and can see how far I can push the concept...

My first 100 original Dungeons & Dragons Monster Manual redesigns (A - Z): Aerial Servant, Ankheg, Ant (Giant), Ape (Carnivorous), Ape (Gorilla), Axe Beak, Axe Beak (version 2), Baboon, Badger, Barracuda, Basilisk, Baluchitherium, Bear (Black), Bear (Brown), Bear (Cave), Beaver (Giant), Beetle (Giant) - Bombardier, Beetle (Giant) - Boring, Beetle (Giant) - Fire, Beetle (Giant) - Rhinoceros, Beetle (Giant) - Stag, Beetle (Giant) - Water, Beholder, Black Pudding, Blink Dog, Boar (Giant), Boar (Warthog), Boar (Wild), Brain Mole, Brownie, Bugbear, Buffalo, Bulette, Carrion Crawler, Catoblepas, Cerebral Parasite, Chimera, Cockatrice, Coutal, Crab (Giant), Demon Type III (Glabrezu), Demon (Juiblex), Demon (Manes), Devil (Ice), Dragon (Red), Elemental (Earth), Ettin, Eye of the Deep, Flightless Bird, Frog (Giant), Fungi (Violet), Giant (Hill), Goblin, Golem (Flesh), Hobgoblin, Homunculus, Hydra, Imp, Intellect Devourer, Ixitxachitl, Jackal, Jacklewere, Jaguar, Ki-Rin, Kobold, Lich, Lizard (Giant), Lizardman, Manticore, Mind Flayer, Minotaur, Naga, Neo-Otygugh, Nixie, Ochre Jelly, Ogre, Owlbear, Peryton, Pixie, Purple Worm, Quasit, Ram (Giant), Roper, Rust Monster, Sahuagin, Salamander, Shambling Mound, Treant, Troglodyte, Troll, Umber Hulk, Unicorn, Vampire, Wasp (Giant), Wight, Wyvern, Xorn, Yeti, and Zombie.      

That is all for another exciting week on the blog, see you back here on Monday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment