Friday, January 18, 2013

Fresh from the drawing table... Lizard (Giant)!

I have for you another drawing that is fresh from the drawing table. This time around it is a LIZARD (giant)! I find myself back at "L" and with so many great monsters to pick from. It was easy to narrow it down to the Lizard monsters... picking which of them I wanted to do was a little harder. In the end the GIANT Lizard won out. I present to you my version of a Giant Lizard…    
Lizard (Giant)
© 2013 Christopher Burdett

I went back and forth between the FIRE Lizard and the GIANT Lizard for some time and actually worked up sketches for both and then eventually abandoned them both before starting this one. A lot had to do with dislike for the pose and anatomy I had worked up and some had to do with I just didn't like what I was drawing. I took a break and came back to the Giant Lizard with a fresh perspective and this critter took shape. I am not reinventing the wheel here... just wanted to have some fun and draw a Giant Lizard monster. I tried to keep it more realistic rater then fantastic and had fun pouring over lots of great lizard reference.

My first 100 original Dungeons & Dragons Monster Manual redesigns (A - Z): Aerial Servant, Ankheg, Ant (Giant), Ape (Carnivorous), Ape (Gorilla), Axe Beak, Axe Beak (version 2), Baboon, Badger, Barracuda, Basilisk, Baluchitherium, Bear (Black), Bear (Brown), Bear (Cave), Beaver (Giant), Beetle (Giant) - Bombardier, Beetle (Giant) - Boring, Beetle (Giant) - Fire, Beetle (Giant) - Rhinoceros, Beetle (Giant) - Stag, Beetle (Giant) - Water, Beholder, Black Pudding, Blink Dog, Boar (Giant), Boar (Warthog), Boar (Wild), Brain Mole, Brownie, Bugbear, Buffalo, Bulette, Carrion Crawler, Catoblepas, Cerebral Parasite, Chimera, Cockatrice, Coutal, Crab (Giant), Demon Type III (Glabrezu), Demon (Juiblex), Demon (Manes), Devil (Ice), Dragon (Red), Elemental (Earth), Ettin, Eye of the Deep, Flightless Bird, Frog (Giant), Fungi (Violet), Giant (Hill), Goblin, Golem (Flesh), Hobgoblin, Homunculus, Hydra, Imp, Intellect Devourer, Ixitxachitl, Jackal, Jacklewere, Jaguar, Ki-Rin, Kobold, Lich, Lizard (Giant), Lizardman, Manticore, Mind Flayer, Minotaur, Naga, Neo-Otygugh, Nixie, Ochre Jelly, Ogre, Owlbear, Peryton, Pixie, Purple Worm, Quasit, Ram (Giant), Roper, Rust Monster, Sahuagin, Salamander, Shambling Mound, Treant, Troglodyte, Troll, Umber Hulk, Unicorn, Vampire, Wasp (Giant), Wight, Wyvern, Xorn, Yeti, and Zombie.     

That is all for another exciting week on the blog, see you back here next week! Until then...

 For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

5 comments:

  1. I love it when you turn something common into uncommonly awesome! I see of lot of Komodo and Iguana coming through in this one. Looks like it packs a nasty bite, full of infectious things. What's the scale (no pun, I swear) of this guy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It is a 'large' scale creature. There are some smashed trees behind and under it. I would imagine it is a good 20 feet tall at its back. Had to put the 'giant' in Giant Lizard.

      Delete
  2. don't know about that giant, but I remember an episode of the old history channel show monsterquest, where they went looking around Indonesia for "Giant" monitor lizards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just came across this when I googled for a lizard drawing to use for an AD&D 2e compendium entry I am working up. Great pic but too big for the lizard I am working on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really need this picture do you have any
    I love the scale drawing please post more

    ReplyDelete