Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Fresh from the drawing table... Ankheg!

It begins again! I have for you today another drawing that is fresh from the drawing table. This time around it is an Ankheg! Back to the beginning of the alphabet… "A" still has a lot to offer and a giant insect monster was an obvious choice. I present to you my version of an Ankheg...

Ankheg
© 2011 Christopher Burdett

Since I have a history with the Ankheg, I did not pick it for "A" the first time around, but I could not pass it up a second time. There are just not enough giant insects monsters out there. Taking an established monster and giving it a new spin can sometimes be really easy and somethings it is a little more difficult. I think this Ankheg is somewhere in between. I went with a long bodied centipede type creature that bores it's way through earth and rock. To aid it the digging and to of course melt the face of any unlucky adventurer it has a handy dandy acid sprayer in it's mouth. Who knows how long the adults are, their bodies stretch deep into the ground. Maybe that is something to explore later.

My first 100 original Dungeons & Dragons Monster Manual redesigns (A - Z): Aerial Servant, Ankheg, Ant (Giant), Ape (Carnivorous), Ape (Gorilla), Axe Beak, Axe Beak (version 2), Baboon, Badger, Barracuda, Basilisk, Baluchitherium, Bear (Black), Bear (Brown), Bear (Cave), Beaver (Giant), Beetle (Giant) - Bombardier, Beetle (Giant) - Boring, Beetle (Giant) - Fire, Beetle (Giant) - Rhinoceros, Beetle (Giant) - Stag, Beetle (Giant) - Water, Beholder, Black Pudding, Blink Dog, Boar (Giant), Boar (Warthog), Boar (Wild), Brain Mole, Brownie, Bugbear, Buffalo, Bulette, Carrion Crawler, Catoblepas, Cerebral Parasite, Chimera, Cockatrice, Coutal, Crab (Giant), Demon Type III (Glabrezu), Demon (Juiblex), Demon (Manes), Devil (Ice), Dragon (Red), Elemental (Earth), Ettin, Eye of the Deep, Flightless Bird, Frog (Giant), Fungi (Violet), Giant (Hill), Goblin, Golem (Flesh), Hobgoblin, Homunculus, Hydra, Imp, Intellect Devourer, Ixitxachitl, Jackal, Jacklewere, Jaguar, Ki-Rin, Kobold, Lich, Lizard (Giant), Lizardman, Manticore, Mind Flayer, Minotaur, Naga, Neo-Otygugh, Nixie, Ochre Jelly, Ogre, Owlbear, Peryton, Pixie, Purple Worm, Quasit, Ram (Giant), Roper, Rust Monster, Sahuagin, Salamander, Shambling Mound, Treant, Troglodyte, Troll, Umber Hulk, Unicorn, Vampire, Wasp (Giant), Wight, Wyvern, Xorn, Yeti, and Zombie.      

That is all for the blog today. I am traveling to Gen Con today and will be getting everything set up for the first day of the con tomorrow! Let the con coverage begin!Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact
me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment