Friday, October 23, 2015

Fresh from the drawing table... Beetle (Giant) - Boring!

I have for you another drawing that is fresh from the drawing table. This time around it is a Beetle (Giant) - Boring! The Boring Beetle is the sixth and final giant beetle included in the original D&D Monster Manual. I present to you my version of a Beetle (Giant) - Boring… 

Beetle (Giant) - Boring
9 x 12
Pencil on paper
Original - Currently not available
© 2015 Christopher Burdett

Giant Beetles come in all sizes, from over grown subterranean beasts to huge magic created leviathans to gigantic walking unnatural disasters. The Boring Beetle is somewhere in between and more toward the low end of the spectrum. Was this a naturally accruing creature? Was this the byproduct of wizardly actions? Who knows... but as long as you keep them supplied with their fill of wood you can get the Giant Boring Beetle to do just about anything. At some point all the player characters will get themselves giant mounts of some sort and it will be just that much harder for the Dungeon Master. Forget dragons, someone is going to want the Giant Ram, someone is going to what the Giant Boring Beetle, and someone is going to want an ...ostrich. ...or not. When the player's Giant Beetle is devoured by a Purple Worm there will be a sad funeral ceremony. You will never be forgotten, Billy the Giant Boring Beetle.

My first 100 original Dungeons & Dragons Monster Manual redesigns (A - Z): Aerial Servant, Ankheg, Ant (Giant), Ape (Carnivorous), Ape (Gorilla), Axe Beak, Axe Beak (version 2), Baboon, Badger, Barracuda, Basilisk, Baluchitherium, Bear (Black), Bear (Brown), Bear (Cave), Beaver (Giant), Beetle (Giant) - Bombardier, Beetle (Giant) - Boring, Beetle (Giant) - Fire, Beetle (Giant) - Rhinoceros, Beetle (Giant) - Stag, Beetle (Giant) - Water, Beholder, Black Pudding, Blink Dog, Boar (Giant), Boar (Warthog), Boar (Wild), Brain Mole, Brownie, Bugbear, Buffalo, Bulette, Carrion Crawler, Catoblepas, Cerebral Parasite, Chimera, Cockatrice, Coutal, Crab (Giant), Demon Type III (Glabrezu), Demon (Juiblex), Demon (Manes), Devil (Ice), Dragon (Red), Elemental (Earth), Ettin, Eye of the Deep, Flightless Bird, Frog (Giant), Fungi (Violet), Giant (Hill), Goblin, Golem (Flesh), Hobgoblin, Homunculus, Hydra, Imp, Intellect Devourer, Ixitxachitl, Jackal, Jacklewere, Jaguar, Ki-Rin, Kobold, Lich, Lizard (Giant), Lizardman, Manticore, Mind Flayer, Minotaur, Naga, Neo-Otygugh, Nixie, Ochre Jelly, Ogre, Owlbear, Peryton, Pixie, Purple Worm, Quasit, Ram (Giant), Roper, Rust Monster, Sahuagin, Salamander, Shambling Mound, Treant, Troglodyte, Troll, Umber Hulk, Unicorn, Vampire, Wasp (Giant), Wight, Wyvern, Xorn, Yeti, and Zombie.      

That is all for another exciting week on the blog, see you back here on Monday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

2 comments:

  1. Just wanted to tell you that I'm working on a rewrite of D&D monsters for my gaming blog, and this image encouraged me to completely rewrite the boring beetle's description. I really don't need another big fighting beetle - this was better.

    I'm afraid I'm stealing your pic for the wiki, but I'll give you a credit. I've cut the pic a bit so it will fit on my layout, making your blog's name hard to read, so I've created a caption. I've also linked the pic to your blog. The page is here:

    http://tao-of-dnd.wikispaces.com/Beetle+%28giant+boring%29

    I've done the same with the bombadier beetle:

    http://tao-of-dnd.wikispaces.com/Beetle+%28giant+bombadier%29

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While I appreciate your interest in my work, I have not given you any kind of permission to use my work not have you signed a licensing agreement with me and PAID me for the use of my work. You may NOT use my work on your project and I expect for you to remove it immediately. You yourself used the word steal, which is what you are doing. Unless I can come to your house and take things that I like, you can not take my work as you like to use for your own. That work consists of my time, energy, and work and unless I am compensated for my efforts, it can not be used.

      Delete