Friday, July 13, 2012

Fresh from the drawing table... Wight!

I have for you another drawing that is fresh from the drawing table. This time around it is a Wight! In the original Monster Manual there were only one listing for "V" and I did the Vampire on the first past so we are jumping from "U" to "W" which has several listing. This time around I felt it was time to do something undead and that mean the Wight. You can't go wrong with undead fiends that hate the living that dwell in burial mounds and lost tombs of kings and the like. I present to you my version of a Wight...  

Wight
© 2012 Christopher Burdett

When I think of Wights I think of Fellowship of the Ring and the trouble that the hobbits get into at the burial mounds (stuff that was not in the movie, FYI). I see Wights being the undead horror that is a cursed king or the spirit of a noble that still seeks to avenge his murder, but only has those foolish enough to wander into his crypt to attack. Smarter, deadlier, and more powerful then any Zombie but completely corporeal so you can hit them with weapons I see the Wights as a real and horrific threat to players.

As a side note, I have for a while now preached about using reference and have shared a lot of reference that I use here on the blog. When I about to start this drawing I realized I didn't have any reference and since I was out and about when I was to begin sketching I really didn't have the opportunity to get any. Then it hit me, one of the reasons I have been using reference so much was that when I found myself in situations like this I had the skills and knowledge to work out the image myself. For a moment I was a slave to the reference and was not relying on my own abilities. So I moved forward with what I knew and have learned over the last several years and drew this completely on the fly. I am really happy with it and it shows me that all my work and diligence in using reference has paid off... I think...

This completes my second time through the original Monster Manual! There were only one entries for "X", "Y", and "Z" so "W" is as far as I can go anymore. I will have some follow up thoughts on all this and some images to share with you next week and I will be going back and updating all the links on all the pages so no monster will be missed!

My first 100 original Dungeons & Dragons Monster Manual redesigns (A - Z): Aerial Servant, Ankheg, Ant (Giant), Ape (Carnivorous), Ape (Gorilla), Axe Beak, Axe Beak (version 2), Baboon, Badger, Barracuda, Basilisk, Baluchitherium, Bear (Black), Bear (Brown), Bear (Cave), Beaver (Giant), Beetle (Giant) - Bombardier, Beetle (Giant) - Boring, Beetle (Giant) - Fire, Beetle (Giant) - Rhinoceros, Beetle (Giant) - Stag, Beetle (Giant) - Water, Beholder, Black Pudding, Blink Dog, Boar (Giant), Boar (Warthog), Boar (Wild), Brain Mole, Brownie, Bugbear, Buffalo, Bulette, Carrion Crawler, Catoblepas, Cerebral Parasite, Chimera, Cockatrice, Coutal, Crab (Giant), Demon Type III (Glabrezu), Demon (Juiblex), Demon (Manes), Devil (Ice), Dragon (Red), Elemental (Earth), Ettin, Eye of the Deep, Flightless Bird, Frog (Giant), Fungi (Violet), Giant (Hill), Goblin, Golem (Flesh), Hobgoblin, Homunculus, Hydra, Imp, Intellect Devourer, Ixitxachitl, Jackal, Jacklewere, Jaguar, Ki-Rin, Kobold, Lich, Lizard (Giant), Lizardman, Manticore, Mind Flayer, Minotaur, Naga, Neo-Otygugh, Nixie, Ochre Jelly, Ogre, Owlbear, Peryton, Pixie, Purple Worm, Quasit, Ram (Giant), Roper, Rust Monster, Sahuagin, Salamander, Shambling Mound, Treant, Troglodyte, Troll, Umber Hulk, Unicorn, Vampire, Wasp (Giant), Wight, Wyvern, Xorn, Yeti, and Zombie.      

That is all for another exciting week on the blog, see you back here on Monday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

1 comment:

  1. Looks great, as usual. Good observation on the reference btw. It's been a while since I read LOTR, but wasn't the barrow wight just depicted as a long arm clutching a sword laid across the hobbits' throats? Anyway, can I vote that you do more wights since there is a lack of letters? I'd love to see a number of these guys. :

    ReplyDelete