Friday, January 11, 2013

Fresh from the drawing table... Jackal!

I have for you another drawing that is fresh from the drawing table. This time around it is a JACKAL! This is the third and final "J" monster in the original Monster Manual. "Monster" might be a little strong of a word for a Jackal. None the less, the Jackal is in the book and since it is the book I gotta draw it. I present to you my version of a Jackal…    

Jackal
© 2013 Christopher Burdett

The Jackal is another of the mundane monsters of Dungeons & Dragons. As I have mentioned before I was not happy with my first mundane monster, the Jaguar, and since then I have tried to find more interesting presentations for the natural beasts of the Monster Manual. Thankfully for me and the Jackal there was a leaping off point at the end of the very short description for the Jackal.

"They appear here because of the magical bag of trick."

That one sentence sealed the deal and got me thinking all about insane wizards making crappy and annoying 'magical' items that are more trouble then they are worth. Why does every magical item need to be a weapon, armor, or some other highly beneficial item? Why can't it be a bag that allows you to bring forth small animals wearing a cute little outfit with bells in an explosion of noise, confetti, and streamers? You never know, this could be a REALLY good use of an action while fighting an Elder Red Dragon...

Wizards... I blame them for everything, including Jackals wearing cute little outfits busting from 'magic' bags.

My first 100 original Dungeons & Dragons Monster Manual redesigns (A - Z): Aerial Servant, Ankheg, Ant (Giant), Ape (Carnivorous), Ape (Gorilla), Axe Beak, Axe Beak (version 2), Baboon, Badger, Barracuda, Basilisk, Baluchitherium, Bear (Black), Bear (Brown), Bear (Cave), Beaver (Giant), Beetle (Giant) - Bombardier, Beetle (Giant) - Boring, Beetle (Giant) - Fire, Beetle (Giant) - Rhinoceros, Beetle (Giant) - Stag, Beetle (Giant) - Water, Beholder, Black Pudding, Blink Dog, Boar (Giant), Boar (Warthog), Boar (Wild), Brain Mole, Brownie, Bugbear, Buffalo, Bulette, Carrion Crawler, Catoblepas, Cerebral Parasite, Chimera, Cockatrice, Coutal, Crab (Giant), Demon Type III (Glabrezu), Demon (Juiblex), Demon (Manes), Devil (Ice), Dragon (Red), Elemental (Earth), Ettin, Eye of the Deep, Flightless Bird, Frog (Giant), Fungi (Violet), Giant (Hill), Goblin, Golem (Flesh), Hobgoblin, Homunculus, Hydra, Imp, Intellect Devourer, Ixitxachitl, Jackal, Jacklewere, Jaguar, Ki-Rin, Kobold, Lich, Lizard (Giant), Lizardman, Manticore, Mind Flayer, Minotaur, Naga, Neo-Otygugh, Nixie, Ochre Jelly, Ogre, Owlbear, Peryton, Pixie, Purple Worm, Quasit, Ram (Giant), Roper, Rust Monster, Sahuagin, Salamander, Shambling Mound, Treant, Troglodyte, Troll, Umber Hulk, Unicorn, Vampire, Wasp (Giant), Wight, Wyvern, Xorn, Yeti, and Zombie.      

That is all for another exciting week on the blog, see you back here next week! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

1 comment: