Friday, October 12, 2012

Fresh from the drawing table... Eye of the Deep!

I have for you another drawing that is fresh from the drawing table. This time around it is an Eye of the Deep! "E" still has a lot to offer but I am surprised it has taken until the third pass for me to tackle this monster. The Eye of the Deep is a giant aquatic cousin of the Beholder and that sure sounds like a mountain load of monster fun! I present to you my version of an Eye of the Deep...  

Eye of the Deep
© 2012 Christopher Burdett

I have always wondered it is AN Eye of the Deep or THE Eye of the Deep... the weirdness of this creature always led me to imagine that there was only one of them. Down in the deepest more crushing depths of the oceans this thing lives and festers in its hatred of everything that walks on the land. The one thing that really bothered me about the original monsters is that to me it looks like it lacks any modes of propulsion. I rectified this by adding a cuttle fish type body fin that runs the length of the body. Not perfect, but it gets the job done and makes it a bit more interesting in my opinion. Hard to go wrong with a giant eye, claws, and lots of tentacles!

My first 100 original Dungeons & Dragons Monster Manual redesigns (A - Z): Aerial Servant, Ankheg, Ant (Giant), Ape (Carnivorous), Ape (Gorilla), Axe Beak, Axe Beak (version 2), Baboon, Badger, Barracuda, Basilisk, Baluchitherium, Bear (Black), Bear (Brown), Bear (Cave), Beaver (Giant), Beetle (Giant) - Bombardier, Beetle (Giant) - Boring, Beetle (Giant) - Fire, Beetle (Giant) - Rhinoceros, Beetle (Giant) - Stag, Beetle (Giant) - Water, Beholder, Black Pudding, Blink Dog, Boar (Giant), Boar (Warthog), Boar (Wild), Brain Mole, Brownie, Bugbear, Buffalo, Bulette, Carrion Crawler, Catoblepas, Cerebral Parasite, Chimera, Cockatrice, Coutal, Crab (Giant), Demon Type III (Glabrezu), Demon (Juiblex), Demon (Manes), Devil (Ice), Dragon (Red), Elemental (Earth), Ettin, Eye of the Deep, Flightless Bird, Frog (Giant), Fungi (Violet), Giant (Hill), Goblin, Golem (Flesh), Hobgoblin, Homunculus, Hydra, Imp, Intellect Devourer, Ixitxachitl, Jackal, Jacklewere, Jaguar, Ki-Rin, Kobold, Lich, Lizard (Giant), Lizardman, Manticore, Mind Flayer, Minotaur, Naga, Neo-Otygugh, Nixie, Ochre Jelly, Ogre, Owlbear, Peryton, Pixie, Purple Worm, Quasit, Ram (Giant), Roper, Rust Monster, Sahuagin, Salamander, Shambling Mound, Treant, Troglodyte, Troll, Umber Hulk, Unicorn, Vampire, Wasp (Giant), Wight, Wyvern, Xorn, Yeti, and Zombie.      

That is all for another exciting week on the blog, I will see you back here on Monday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

4 comments:

  1. That's fitting. I just read an article on Google about an eye the size of a softball that washed up on a Florida beach. Inspiration much? ;( That's not a winky - it's an aquatic beholder missing an eye

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw something about that eye after I posted this drawing. Strange coincidence! Have not heard if they figured it out yet... it was a cool looking eye all the same. Life imitating art??? :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks. When you only have one, its gotta be special! :)

      Delete