Monday, April 18, 2011

Fresh from the drawing table... Umber Hulk!

I have for you today another drawing that is fresh from the drawing table. This time around it is an Umber Hulk! "U" only offered two options and I can tell you that the Unicorn is never going to be my first choice. I have plenty of ideas on how to redesign the Unicorn and make it my own, but I would much more enjoy drawing a giant bug man. I present to you my version of an Umber Hulk ...

Umber Hulk
© 2011 Christopher Burdett

I have always liked giant insect monster men and the Umber Hulk is a perfect example of one. I designed several insect demons / monsters when I was working on Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel and I never felt I ever really nailed it. In response to those feelings of insect monster failings I designed an insect monster man a few years back. A gaming company bought it from me but it never ended up being printed and disappeared into the ether. For this new version of the Umber Hulk I pulled some of the elements I really liked from that unpublished designed and gave it a twist with my current sensibilities. The pincer hands are one of the main carry overs, I just really wanted to make something again with those hands. No matter how it turns out though, it is hard to go wrong with big insect monster men!

My first 100 original Dungeons & Dragons Monster Manual redesigns (A - Z): Aerial Servant, Ankheg, Ant (Giant), Ape (Carnivorous), Ape (Gorilla), Axe Beak, Axe Beak (version 2), Baboon, Badger, Barracuda, Basilisk, Baluchitherium, Bear (Black), Bear (Brown), Bear (Cave), Beaver (Giant), Beetle (Giant) - Bombardier, Beetle (Giant) - Boring, Beetle (Giant) - Fire, Beetle (Giant) - Rhinoceros, Beetle (Giant) - Stag, Beetle (Giant) - Water, Beholder, Black Pudding, Blink Dog, Boar (Giant), Boar (Warthog), Boar (Wild), Brain Mole, Brownie, Bugbear, Buffalo, Bulette, Carrion Crawler, Catoblepas, Cerebral Parasite, Chimera, Cockatrice, Coutal, Crab (Giant), Demon Type III (Glabrezu), Demon (Juiblex), Demon (Manes), Devil (Ice), Dragon (Red), Elemental (Earth), Ettin, Eye of the Deep, Flightless Bird, Frog (Giant), Fungi (Violet), Giant (Hill), Goblin, Golem (Flesh), Hobgoblin, Homunculus, Hydra, Imp, Intellect Devourer, Ixitxachitl, Jackal, Jacklewere, Jaguar, Ki-Rin, Kobold, Lich, Lizard (Giant), Lizardman, Manticore, Mind Flayer, Minotaur, Naga, Neo-Otygugh, Nixie, Ochre Jelly, Ogre, Owlbear, Peryton, Pixie, Purple Worm, Quasit, Ram (Giant), Roper, Rust Monster, Sahuagin, Salamander, Shambling Mound, Treant, Troglodyte, Troll, Umber Hulk, Unicorn, Vampire, Wasp (Giant), Wight, Wyvern, Xorn, Yeti, and Zombie.      

That is all for today on the blog, see you back here on Wednesday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact
me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment