Monday, August 22, 2011

Drogon - Process

I tend to not pander to delusional people I encounter on the internet... frankly, if i did I would have very little time to do anything else. You may have noticed my blog post this morning about my Drogon piece getting a Daily Deviant. In the midst of all the kind words folks over on DA have been giving, someone actually is insisting that I am not the creator of this painting, or drawing as they call it, and that I copied it and that I am a liar! Well, this post goes out to you, homy7793, I hope you find my process shots for the piece informative and interesting!

Drogon Process Part 1
© 2011 Fantasy Flight Games

Drogon Process Part 2
© 2011 Fantasy Flight Games

The steps follow the same progression I have shown in several of my other process posts: Haggling, Warriors of the Poison Dusk, Sea Demon Shrine part 1 and Sea Demon Shrine part 2. Only thing that is different is that I scanned my drawing in at an early stage to get approval from my art director since approval from the author was very important.

Not sure who or what I am coping and not sure why I am a liar, but I had a moment to post these images and I figure you all might enjoy seeing these steps. I wonder if James Gurney and Todd Lockwood have to deal with this kind of thing?

Okay, see you back here on Wednesday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact
me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

11 comments:

  1. I highly approve of this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard, I know, but don't let it get you down. The only ones that you have to justify your work to ones that write the checks. :)

    Also consider the fact that the 'person' who posted that has nothing but crayon scribbles and other people's art in his DA gallery.

    As always, great to see the work and the WIP.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Christopher. I think it was the crayon drawings that clenched me doing something. I have always ignored these things until now. I think it was the sheer absurdity of it all that got my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I'm sorry some d-bag was the cause of this post, but I love seeing the process. Chris I would dare to say you are equal to if not perhaps better than Todd Lockwood. Your agent needs to book you to do an entire D&D MM all by yourself...you could easily pull it off. Keep'em coming.

    And to homy7793 on behalf of all of Chris's fans, @*!# YOU AND THE $*!% YOU RODE IN ON! When was the last time you did a 4 day Gen Con? I didn't think so.

    Lightbulb! Chris may I respectfully request you draw a @*!# riding a gruesome $*!% :D Can't wait to see what your imagination conjures up...I'm guessing it will have tentacles...giving the "finger".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw man that really sucks, but on the plus side we get another process piece!

    If this dude just took the time to look at your blog and go over the years of work an effort you put into becoming the artist that you are today, maybe he'd e a little ashamed of himself.

    Rest assured folks like me who continue to try to make great art every day appreciate the work and effort you put into your pieces because it reflects our own commitment to our work.

    Have I blown enough smoke up your ass yet?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your fire rendering in that image is boss. I just want you to know I'm a big fan.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everybody! It is appreciated! :) I am not really that concerned by that one dude... it was just so ridiculous and funny I decided to act :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cool process post. I love the way the fire and the scales on the dragon are rendered, especially on its head with all the reflected fire light.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wouldn't worry too much about this chucklehead's comments. I'm sure he is just bitter that kid's aren't playing on the playground at the elementary school across the street from the window in his parent's basement this time of year. Really put's a damper on his view. How's that for making stabbing, baseless personal attacks. zing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a fan of fantasy art and I must say you did a great job on this dragon illustration!

    ReplyDelete