Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Nexus Ops - Part 5: Lava Leaper

Keeping a week of giant Nexus Ops monsters going I have for you... another giant Nexus Ops monster! This time around it is the massive Lava Leaper. I think the same comes from some sort of ability it might have, something to do with leaping and maybe lava, but I am known to be wrong, from time to time. I present to you, the Lava Leaper...

Lava Leaper
© 2012 Fantasy Flight Games

Lava Leaper miniature turnaround
© 2012 Fantasy Flight Games

Production miniature for the Lava Leaper

I really wanted to make sure that these monsters looked and felt differently. I wanted them to be able to be distinguished from each other immediately and without any trouble, both in there illustrations and in the monochromatic miniatures. I hope I accomplished this, it is always hard to tell sometimes after being so close to a project. Every detail and nuance has been committed to memory and they begin to look as different as they do the same over time. For the Lava Leaper I looked to a very interesting little frog for the coloration. For the overall look, well, let's just say I went back to my roots for inspiration. As a side note, I really like that the Lava Leaper and Rockstrider are not placed on bases. Just something about them being free standing and to themselves that I really like.

If you missed any of the other designs you can see them here: Human, Fungoid, Crystalline, Rockstrider, Lava Leaper, and Rubium Dragon.

That is all for another exciting Wednesday on the blog, see you back here on Friday for the last and biggest of the Nexus Ops monsters! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact
me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment