Monday, January 30, 2012

Nexus Ops - Part 1: Humans

Early last year I was approached by the good folks at Fantasy Flight Games to redesign and update all the pieces for the classic board game, Nexus Ops. This project involved miniature designs and full character illustration. After a long wait, I am very pleased to be able to start bringing you the work I did on the game.

There were a total of six different pieces to design, each with their own personality and role in the game. Today, I am starting it all off with the only non-monster piece, the Human...

Human
© 2012 Fantasy Flight Games

Human miniature turnaround
© 2012 Fantasy Flight Games

Production miniature for the Humans
(they are super tiny and full of detail!)

For the Human, the direction was more of an armored astronaut rather then a typical space marine type design. Though I stick more to the monsters, this guy was pretty fun to design and work on. If you had one of you hands shoved up a gun you would want the rest of your gear in reach of the other arm. This was also the one piece that had a major revision, and that was the helmet. The helmet was redesigned to be a little more aggressive in profile compared to the original. Looking back at the original now I can see why the change was asked for, though I think the original had it's merits... though it was a little goofy.

I would like to say that this was a really exciting project to work on. The opportunity to design all the pieces for the game like this was truly a unique experience. A special thanks to Kyle for getting me involved with this project as well as the rest of the good folks at Fantasy Flight Games!

If you missed any of the other designs you can see them here: Human, Fungoid, Crystalline, Rockstrider, Lava Leaper, and Rubium Dragon.

See you back here on Wednesday for the start of the Nexus Ops MONSTERS! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact
me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment