Monday, July 22, 2024

Woodbane's Diagram - The Grand Bazaar of Ethra VanDalia

I am thrilled to share another new piece from The Grand Bazaar of Ethra VanDalia! This illustration is for Book Two: The Completed Circle. This is one of three color pieces that will appear in book two. I previously shared with you the first. This is a supporting image for The Arrival section of the book. As one of Woodbane's diagrams appearing in his book series, Woodbane's Journal of Beings, this illustration depicts several species native to the continent of Thrakaa that are now extinct. The large quadruped in the center was a swamp-dwelling silt feeder used as a beast of burden and can be seen as the mount in The Arrival illustration.  Moving forward, I plan to have at least one of this style of illustration in the books. I plan to eventually have a book built around them as it focuses on the flora and fauna of the planet. I present Woodbane's Diagram.

Woodbane's Diagram
The Grand Bazaar of Ethra Dalia - The Completed Circle
11 x 14 - Pencil, ink, gouache, and acrylic paint on paper 
Available at Gen Con 2024 - August 1-4
© 2024 Christopher Burdett

Woodbane's Diagram - Drawing
The Grand Bazaar of Ethra Dalia - The Completed Circle
11 x 14 - Pencil on paper 
Available at Gen Con 2024 - August 1-4
© 2024 Christopher Burdett

This is an extremely rare occasion in the Grand Bazaar, where there are two originals available for this piece. There is the finished inked and painted final image, as well as the pencil drawing that was used to work out the image before inking. The drawing was transferred to paper, and the inking and painting went onto that image, leaving the pencil drawing available, too. You can see the drawing above, and below is the finished inks that I scanned before I started painting.

Woodbane's Diagram - Ink work
11 x 14 - Ink on paper
© 2024 Christopher Burdett

This is a tribute to my love of museum displays and scientific illustrations that show cross-sections of things. I have loved them since I was a child, and to this day, they bring me joy. It was a true joy to finally make one of these for my world and my book. Here is a look at the sketch for Woodbane's Diagram to show where it began.
 
Woodbane's Diagram - Sketch
Digital
© 2024 Christopher Burdett

As a bonus, I have some images of this piece coming together. The first image shows the pencil drawing being worked on, and you can see the digital sketch behind the sheet of paper I am drawing on. The rest of the image shows the ink and paint work happening. It has been some time since I did a larger involved traditional color illustration. While I knew I could do it, I felt a little rusty. Thankfully, it all came back to me, and I am happy with the final product. I just know that the more of these I do, the better they will get.

Woodbane's Diagram - Process
© 2024 Christopher Burdett

That is all for another exciting Monday on the blog. See you back here on Wednesday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability, head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment