Monday, March 27, 2023

Yote Portrait - The Grand Bazaar of Ethra VanDalia

I am thrilled to share another new piece from The Grand Bazaar of Ethra VanDalia. This illustration is for Book Two: The Completed Circle. I say new, but this was completed in early December 2022. While I am currently focused on large pieces for the book, I have been fitting in smaller pieces to help me feel like I am moving forward in production. If you are familiar with the first book, you know that each chapter begins with one or more 'man of the street' hot takes on the subject of the chapter. It will be no different in book two, but now you will have a face to go along with the words at the beginning of each chapter. This was something I had wanted to do for book one, but one of the things that fell by the wayside just to get the book across the finish line. Now I have been able to make it a reality for book two. I am immensely enjoying making these smaller pieces. They are quicker to complete, add a slice of worldbuilding, and give a face to a name and species. Going to start off with the first one that I finished, though after this, I will likely share alphabetically to stay on brand. I present you with a Yote (name and/or chassis number to come later).

Yote
The Grand Bazaar of Ethra Dalia - The Completed Circle
5 x 5 - Pencil, ink, and acrylic paint on paper
Original - SOLD
© 2022 Christopher Burdett
 
Yote - Drawing 
5 x 5 - Pencil on paper
© 2022 Christopher Burdett
 
These are by far the smallest pieces created for the books. More and more, I find myself working larger and larger. There is something really lovely about a 5 x 5 image, and I have already framed them all up. They look great in a frame an will make a nice addition to my conventions later in the year. For now, I am focused on making more of them and moving ahead on big illustrations. Here is a look at the sketch for the Yote to show where it began.
 
Yote - Sketch 
Digital
© 2022 Christopher Burdett

That is all for another exciting Monday on the blog. See you back here on Wednesday! Until then... 

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability, head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment