Friday, March 24, 2023

Andy Richter Controls the Universe - The Mighty Dogopus 21 Years Later

Between 2002 and 2003, nineteen episodes of Andy Richter Controls the Universe were created. Unsurprisingly, the show starred Andy Richter. Surprisingly, I worked on a single episode, and I got to design the mighty Dogopus. Here is the first, last, and only design I did for the Dogopus.

Dogopus
 Andy Richter Controls the Universe
8.5 x 11 - Ink on paper with digital finish
2002

You might be thinking, "funny, I watched all of the episodes of that show and have no memory of any Dogopus." And you would be 100% correct because there was never a Dogopus made. As with a lot of the work I did while in LA toiling away in the entertainment industry, it never got past the design phase. In the end, it was deemed too expensive for such a quick gag in the show that it was cut, and they went with something cheaper. We even were going to reuse some tentacles from another project to lower the cost. Sadly, it was not meant to be. It is doubly sad because I was lined up to puppeteer the Dogopus during filming, which would have been a lot of fun. Godspeed, Dogopus! May you never be forgotten.

That is all for another exciting week on the blog. See you back here on Monday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability, head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment