Friday, July 29, 2022

Interstellar Express Part 6 - Environment Finals

Today, I am continuing my posts focused on my work from Interstellar Express, the educational game I art directed and made many assists. This week I am sharing the final art for the environments I created. Let's get back to the Interstellar Express! 

Interstellar Express space screen
Final art by Lee Bretschneider

The environment art was some of the most complex elements I created for the game. Each planet has a layered environment that will allow parallax scrolling. There is a background, which is stationary, and a looping middle ground and background. In addition to these three layers, the attraction element will be featured when you reach your final destination. These were a lot of fun and very different from what I usually create, so it was a great opportunity to flex some underused art muscles. I enjoyed making each layer separately and working with all three to push and pull the layers to create depth and visual separation. I plan to share some of the environments in motion, but that is for another post for another project. I present you with the final environment art of Interstellar Express.
 
The generic alien world with and without the attraction.

The bug world with and without the attraction.
 
The bird world with and without the attraction.
As a side note for this one, it was one of the first I finished, and when I had completed them all, I went back and completely reworked it. I had initially made it with white clouds and a blue sky. Once compared to the other, it fell a little flat and was visually similar to the elemental world. Shifting it to more of a sunset color palette made it much more visually exciting and unique when compared to the other planets.
 
The elemental world with and without the attraction.
 
The lava world with and without the attraction.
 
The lost desert world with and without the attraction.
 
The ocean world with and without the attraction.
 
The robot world with and without the attraction.
 
The shapes world with and without the attraction.
 
The space dinosaur world with and without the attraction.
Space dinosaurs are both advance and retro.
 
The train station world. Ultimately, I am unsure how much this will be used or seen in the game. The middle ground was never meant to fully loop.

The train car interior. This section should get a lot of use as it is the background whenever the aliens and universal translator interact with the user. The background outside the windows will be a space field created for a separate game element and will be reused here.

That's all for another exciting week on the blog. See you back here on Monday! Until then... 

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability, head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment