Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes - Process - Sibriex

Today I have for you the steps and process that went into creating the Sibriex illustration for Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes that came out last year. This was the second of five paintings that I created for the book and one of my favorites. Nothing like being able to paint a bog crazy dripping sack of grossness. This was an update of a preexisting demon that needed a 5th Edition update. The production flow for this piece was unchanged from all of my recent digital work, so I might be a brief on the details. If you feel like you would like a more in-depth explanation of my process, I offer the following links: Break down 1Break down 2, and Break down 3. To start things off, here is the final painting for the Sibriex.
Sibriex
Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes
11 x 14 - Digital
Art Director - Kate Irwin
© 2018 Wizards of the Coast LLC

As with all my illustrations, I begin everything with a photo reference shoot/collection followed by the creation of thumbnails. Yes, even a piece like this has reference photos taken. I made funny faces and moved my head around to work out how I wanted to depict the monster. This version needed to present some level of intelligence, so the reference helps establish some human, and thus intelligence, traits to the face. These are the three thumbnails that I submitted for the Sibriex.
Sibriex - Thumbnails
© 2018 Wizards of the Coast LLC

Option C was the winner, but I was asked to push the design a little more. It needed to be more monstrous and more grotesque. Something I was more than happy to do. I updated the thumbnail and resubmitted it. 

Sibriex - Updated thumbnail
© 2018 Wizards of the Coast LLC

This updated thumbnail was approved, which meant it was time to work up a finished drawing. Here is the final drawing that was submitted. There were no edits or changes after submission.
Sibriex - Drawing
Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes
11 x 14 - Pencil on paper
Art Director - Kate Irwin
Original - SOLD
© 2018 Wizards of the Coast LLC

With an approved drawing, it was time to get started on the painting. These isolated figures are a straight forward process. I created a masked clipping layer using the silhouette and never worry about the edges. There was no lighting reference for this piece. I went with a forward and slightly above light source that would best show off the forms. It is standard, and I can mentally default to it without much trouble. Here is the painting coming together in twelve steps.
Sibriex - Process steps
© 2018 Wizards of the Coast LLC

This piece came together in one fluid motion of the most part. I have gotten to the point in my career that isolated D&D monsters are a quick and fun assignment. Or so I thought. More one that when the project is finally revealed. To make the process of the painting a little more clear, here it is coming together in an animated gif.
Sibriex - Animated Process
© 2018 Wizards of the Coast LLC

Finally, here again is the final painting of the Sibriex. While no official miniature has been created for this piece yet, a custom miniature was created. I shared it a while ago, but it is always fun to revisit.

Sibriex
© 2018 Wizards of the Coast LLC

That is all for another exciting Wednesday on the blog, see you back here on Friday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment