Friday, October 26, 2018

Illuxcon 2018 - Urban Sketching Workshop

I had the great opportunity to again take part in the Urban Sketching Workshop at Illuscon this year. The workshop is run by Sean Murray and Ron Lemon and it has been the highlight of my IX for the past two years. I highly recommend taking part in the workshop if possible. Last year was my first year in the workshop and it was a crash course to get my brain around the idea of urban sketching as well as looking and thinking about architecture and non-creature stuff differently. Hopefully you can see some of that in all the work that I have completed this year. I have been slowly moving towards building more and more of the full world around my monsters and stories and the workshop last year really gave me the kick I needed to get my brain moving in the right direction. Returning to the workshop again this year I feel I was able to build on the last year's work as well as get a fresh take on things. We visited new locations that offered a lot of character and interesting things to draw. I definitely got a my brain moving in an exciting direction as it pertains to the architecture that will be happening in the Grand Bazaar of Ethra VanDalia. This year's workshop was a little different too. We were asked to constrain our drawings to boxes for part of the workshop, do multiple studies from different angles of the same thing, and to do one longer piece that was based on world around us that was then modified by us to become something different. These were all fun twists and added a lot to the workshop. I am really looking forward to taking part in it again next year. For now, here are some select images from the workshop...

Multiple studies of this really cool fire plug. I have a whole new appreciation for these objects and will be spending more time looking at them for inspiration. This is also one of the favorite pages that I created this year at the workshop.

Wenches and things at the GoogleWorks.

Part of a furnace for making glass. The glass blowing workspace was active and open for us to draw in at the GoogleWorks while we were taking part in our own workshop.

Lastly, this is also one of my favorites, it was a longer sketch that worked what I saw into stuff that was in my head. This one was a lot of fun, though I feel I was a little hesitant with it. There is way more real world in this one that I would have liked. But it was my first attempt at doing it, so no worries. I hope we do more of this next year! Now that I have done one I wast to do more.

That is all for another exciting week on the blog, see yo back here on Monday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment