Friday, April 21, 2023

Talisman Adventures: Myths and Monsters - The Return of the Firemane, Rock Mauler, Amber Dragon, and Shadow Dragon

It recently came to my attention that last year the Talisman Adventures RPG came out with a Myths and Monsters book, and some of my old Talisman art is in it. It has been over a decade since I worked on Talisman, but I did do a couple of okay pieces. It is always fun to see ancient work used again. It must mean that it wasn't completely horrible. Starting things off, here is the cover of the book.

Talisman Adventures - Myths and Monsters

Talisman was the first Fantasy Flight game I worked on in 2009 as I changed the direction of my career in the tabletop gaming industry. The game was familiar to me since I had played it many times when I was younger, which made it more exciting to finally be able to work on it. I was still getting my feet under me artistically in 2009, but there are some glimmers of the artist I was to become in there. Here are the final paintings for the work appearing for an encore showing, the Firemane, Rock Mauler, Amber Dragon, and Shadow Dragon.

Firemane
Talisman: Sacred Pool
© 2010 Fantasy Flight Games

Rock Mauler
Talisman: Highland
© 2010 Fantasy Flight Games

Amber Dragon
Talisman: The Dragons
© 2011 Fantasy Flight Games

Shadow Dragon
Talisman: The Dragons
© 2011 Fantasy Flight Games

Lastly, here is how these pieces appeared in the book. There is some cropping, but that is to be expected. It is interesting to see what they used and didn't use. I did produce some much better pieces for the game, pieces that could have been used in the new book but weren't. That is all out of my hands, and at the end of the day, none of my concern. This was work for hire, and I have no control, say, or remittance to be had. That said, it is good to see the Rock Mauler again. Not really a good painting, or design for that matter, but I clearly remember working on it and the struggles I had.

The monsters in handy dandy book form.

That's all for another exciting week on the blog. See you back here on Monday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability, head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hello. Sadly no. I simply do not have the time in my day for what I need to accomplish as it is. Maybe in the future, but not currently.

      Delete