Friday, April 14, 2023

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Script Sides

On Wednesday, I shared details and photos from a book focused on some of the seasons I worked on Angel. Today I have a little surprise I left myself in that book. That surprise? Oh, it was just some script sides from the final episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. 

Buffy the Vampire Slayer script sides in all their tiny photocopied glory

Script sides were handed out daily so that everyone on set knew when and where they needed to be on any given day of shooting. When I say everyone, I mean everyone except makeup effects. We got our info through our supervisors at the shop or the ADs yelling at us on set. This script side was found sitting on top of a full garbage bin. It was in great shape, we were filming the series' final episode, and something inside me told me that I needed to grab it because, you know, it might mean something to someone later. For me, it is a time capsule to a particular time and place in my life.

You better be mindful of your call time! 8 AM for the 2nd Unit and 8:30 AM for the Splinter Unit.

As you can see from the image above that this was from Thursday, April 17th, 2003. That would make it nearly twenty years ago from this blog post. They put the weather and sunrise and sunset on it as well. Not sure if this is still done as all this information is in our pockets now, but it was interesting to be in such a big industry as technology was making a massive change. I watched cell phones move from novelty and luxury to required equipment while I was in LA.

As you can see, this was from the episode Chosen, the final of the Buffy series.

The fun thing is that this is a stack of photocopied sheets of paper that are cut down and stapled together. It would be so easy to duplicate, but you need the authentic source material to do that... and you would need to know what these things look like... and all the circled and crossed-out sections. You can't make this stuff up. These are weird little objects directly tied to the show and its creation.

Random page is random.
I chose this page randomly to take a photo of and realized I was there on the soundstage when it was filmed. I heard the line said by Buffy/The First multiple times as they worked the shot out. Fun memories!

This is such a simple and small object, but it has so many memories tied to it, and when I look at it, they all come rushing back. I had so many fantastic objects slip through my fingers when I worked in LA. So many irreplaceable things that I took for granted that would now be cherished heirlooms. So many opportunities were lost, but in the end, I had this tiny stack of paper. But that is okay. This is still good. These pages may not be flashy or all that interesting to most, but they mean a great deal to me now.

That's all for another exciting week on the blog. See you back here next week - likely Wednesday. Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability, head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment