Monday, May 25, 2015

Daran'Enok - Process - Onslaught on Arda 1

I am away from the computers, and the monsters are in charge... so of course, they are eager to show how they are made. Next up is the Daran'Enok from Age of Rebellion, Onslaught on Arda 1. I first shared these pieces last August, so here is how the final Daran'Enok turned out...

Daran'Enok
Age of Rebellion - Onslaught on Arda 1
© 2014 Lucasfilm, Ltd. TM Lucasfilm, Ltd. Under license to Fantasy Flight Games

The Daran'Enok was a completely new creature I was fortunate enough to get to design and illustrate for Star Wars. They needed a new animal threat in the book that was bigger and more fierce than a Wookiee and could fly or glide and climb up and down the rock cliff of Arda 1. I started out with thumbnails that both designed the creature and played with poses. Here is how the thumbnails turned out...

Daran'Enok - Thumbnails
© 2014 Lucasfilm, Ltd. TM Lucasfilm, Ltd. Under license to Fantasy Flight Games

The first thumbnail design and pose was the winner, and I was approved to move forward with the final drawing. I got my pencil into action and worked up the drawing, and here is how it turned out...

Daran'Enok
Age of Rebellion - Onslaught on Arda 1
12 x 9
Pencil on paper
Original for sale over on my web store!
© 2014 Lucasfilm, Ltd. TM Lucasfilm, Ltd. Under license to Fantasy Flight Games

The drawing was approved without issue, and it was time to get to painting. Over the years, these digitally painted isolated figure pieces got to the point that they started painting themselves. I just get in a grove, and they come together. Perhaps in eight easy steps or perhaps not, the painting comes together...

Daran'Enok - Process progression
© 2014 Lucasfilm, Ltd. TM Lucasfilm, Ltd. Under license to Fantasy Flight Games

Does it RAWR? I must be done. To better show how this piece came together, here is another of those little animated process things...

Daran'Enok - Animated process progression
© 2014 Lucasfilm, Ltd. TM Lucasfilm, Ltd. Under license to Fantasy Flight Games

Another monster is all done, again, here is how the final painting looked when it was all done and turned in...

Daran'Enok
Age of Rebellion - Onslaught on Arda 1
© 2014 Lucasfilm, Ltd. TM Lucasfilm, Ltd. Under license to Fantasy Flight Games

That is all for another exciting Monday on the blog, see you back here on Wednesday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment