Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Basilisk - Lands and Legends - Process

Continuing to clear out the back log of pieces I need to share the process for. Today I have a piece I first shared WAY back in February of 2014. This Basilisk was produced for the Lands and Legends book produced by Michael Publishing, LLC. I feel like it kinds fell under the radar in the bigger scheme of things, but I still like it. This is my take on the Basilisk as the king of the serpents... or rather the God King of all serpents. Here is how the final piece turned out...

Basilisk
Lands and Legends
Digital - 10.3 x 13.7
© 2014 Christopher Burdett

I was left to my own devices and could do anything I wanted to for this project. I knew from the beginning what I wanted to do, it was just a matter of execution. As always, I began with a thumbnail. Since I was my own art director on this I show my reference and then worked and reworked the thumbnail until I was happy with. Here is how the final thumbnail turned out...

Basilisk - Thumbnail
© 2014 Christopher Burdett

Once the thumbnail was finalized I moved to the drawing. I skipped the line drawing on white paper and proceeded directly to the toned paper with the intention of finishing out the toned drawing once the line art for the painting was complete. Unfortunately, I have yet to get back to this drawing and take it to its toned papery goodness conclusion and it still lives on in the "to be completed when I have all the time in the world" pile. Here is how the line are for the Basilisk turned out...

Basilisk - Drawing
© 2014 Christopher Burdett

Now that I have the line drawing it was time to get started on the painting. Since this was created at the beginning of last year it was produced digitally. In just twelve easy steps this piece came together! ...or not. It was really straight forward and since I was creating it for myself I could do what I wanted, have a lot of fun, and not worry about meeting the needs and exceptions of someone else, since ultimately I was the client on this project. My focus was to make something I was really happy with and so I got to painting to create just that...

Basilisk - Process progression
© 2014 Christopher Burdett

Like magic paintings take shape. To better show the piece coming together, here is another little animated process progression for you...

Basilisk - Animated process progression
© 2014 Christopher Burdett

When I originally posted about this piece last year I also shared some close ups of this piece so that you could get a better look at what my paintings look like up close. I thought I would include this again so that you can have another look. A glimpse at the tightness and looseness of my digital work.

Basilisk - Detail
© 2014 Christopher Burdett

Basilisk at 100%... RAWR!
© 2014 Christopher Burdett

Lastly, I will leave you again with the final painting of the Basilisk. If you are interested, I highly recommend you checking out the Lands and Legends book! It is full of great art!

Basilisk
Lands and Legends
Digital - 10.3 x 13.7
© 2014 Christopher Burdett

That is all for another exciting Wednesday on the blog, see you back here on Friday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment