Wednesday, January 24, 2024

Magic the Gathering Art FOUND! Breaching Hippocamp Concept Sketches NOW AVAILABLE!

Recently, while doing a great deal of organizing and cleaning I discovered some concept sketches from the second Magic the Gathering card I ever worked on, the Breaching Hippocamp. I had thought these lost, destroyed, or in the ownership of another, but I had them this entire time, safely tucked away in the completely wrong place. Now that they have surfaced, they are now available! This set of four pages are 7 x 5 and are drawn in ink on lined yellow notepad paper. Here are all of the pages together.

Each 7 x 5 ink on paper

I shared the process for making the Breaching Hippocamp painting ten years ago on this very blog. You can see how some of these concepts were used to create the finalized concept drawings for this monster. There are so many concepts here that I still love and hopefully, one day I will be able to utilize them for the starting point of something new. Here are all of the pages presented separately so you can get a better look at them. As I have mentioned before, these are available as a set

 
A better look at all four sheets of concept sketches

There are production notes on the back of each page. At the time of working on the card, it was simply called the Hippocamp. I often wonder if my depiction in the art led to the name change. Here is a look at the back of each page.

They are all signed on their fronts and have production notes on their backs

Lastly, here is a look at the final painting and the card these concept sketches led to. If you missed the links to my store above, you can check out these concept sketches here!

Breaching Hippocamp
Magic the Gathering - Theros
12 x 8.7 - Digital 
© 2013 Wizards of the Coast
 
Breaching Hippocamp - in handy card form

That is all for another exciting Wednesday on the blog. See you back here on Friday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability, head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment