Monday, August 6, 2012

Niiro no Oni - Process

Back in early June I shared with you my first Legends of the Five Ring (L5R) piece of art that was leaked on their art tumblr. The set, The Shadow's Embrace, is now out and the copies of the card I ordered have arrived so I thought I would fully share with you everything dealing with the Niiro No Oni...

Niiro no Oni
© 2012 Alderac Entertainment Group

This monster started almost exactly a year ago. I received the assignment just before leaving for Gen Con last year which gave me the opportunity to talk directly with the art directors about the direction and feel for this devil. Since this was my first assignment with a new client there is a certain amount of time spent getting the feel of the project and what is expected from the assignments. My biggest concern was if this monster was to be something somewhat humanoid and possibly wearing armor or some inhuman horror. It was unanimous that it was to be inhuman horror, which is fine by me! I got to work on some thumbnails...

Niiro no Oni - thumbnails
© 2012 Alderac Entertainment Group 

I gave a lot of thumbnail options for this first assignment since I was still getting my head around this monsters and to make sure I covered all my bases. I also went a head and threw some color on them so production knew what I was going for. I didn't want them to be confused by little swirly sketches wondering what was up and what was down. I also wanted to convey that I saw blood being a large part of this monster. I wanted its body to be partially made out of blood and it to be sitting in blood. ...it is a leech monster after all, got to get the blood in there. Production actually approved several of the thumbnails and left the final choice up to me. Since my favorite was among the approved thumbnails it was an easy decision on which to move forward with to the final drawing...

Niiro no Oni - drawing
© 2012 Alderac Entertainment Group 

I am not sure if I have ever mentioned it on blog before, but there is one kind of monster that I kind of don't like... and that is a monster made out of lots of smaller creatures. Having said that, I have created a monster made out of snakes, one out bugs, one out of worms, and one of leeches. I have never and will never turn down one of these monsters, I just think it is funny that they seem to find me. I do my best and make them as interesting as I can. There is a definite challenge to make a mass of smaller things form and flow into a larger cohesive thing. That was my challenge with Niiro no Oni. The element of blood was the key for me to making it interesting and unique, at least for myself. Is the monster a horror made out of blood? Or is the horror made out of leeches? I liked the idea that the creature was in fact made of blood and has over time become infested with leeches. Since it is a devil is continually regenerates so the leeches have a fresh meal... just my personal thoughts on the monster. The drawing was approved and I got down to painting...

 Niiro no Oni - painting process
© 2012 Alderac Entertainment Group  

In six easy sets you get a monster... or not. Since I had a rough palette already worked out from my thumbnails I has a starting point and there are of course plenty of reference images for bamboo forests and leeches to draw color inspiration from. Since it is a year old some of the details of actually working on the piece are a little fuzzy, but I remember it going really smoothly. One of the 'in the moment' decisions for this piece was to add the steam coming off the form. I thought it was a nice touch to show that is was warm in a cool environment and I think it adds to the whole. The final was accepted and proved with no revisions. Here is that final image again...

Niiro no Oni
© 2012 Alderac Entertainment Group

I am REALLY pleased with how the image has reproduced and how the final card looks. From what I have seen online the card is considered good for play which I am told is a really good sign. Apparently the playability of a card trumps the art... silly me for thinking any other way.  I am also happy that is now out and that I can have prints with me at Gen Con! If you are going to be at Gen Con next week and what me to sign your card or if you would like to buy a print of the Niiro no Oni make sure to stop by the artist alley and say hi! Oh, and here is an image of the final card...

Niiro no Oni
© 2012 Alderac Entertainment Group

That is all for another exciting Monday on the blog, see you back here on Wednesday where I will share with you the surprise in the box! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

2 comments:

  1. Excellent work as usual! It's one of my dreams to work for Alderac Entertainment, and I'm preparing a set of pieces to submit to them for that very purpose. Hoping they at least reply with some feedback!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks! Good luck with your submission to AEG! I hope it goes well for you! Adrian and Steve are great guys - very busy, but great guys. :)

      Delete