Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Writhing Sorcerer - Dreamblade

I have for you today a blast from the past as well as a fresh take on those past events. Going back seven years I am revisiting another of the Dreamblade miniatures that I still have never shared here on the blog...

Today I have for you the squirmy and arcane Writhing Sorcerer. The Writhing Sorcerer started his life as the "Arcane Worms" and was described as magic user that is completely made of a mass of worms and should have all the associated gear - cloak, spell book, various equipment and tools of the trade. The Writhing Sorcerer was a Fear creature so it needed to be creepy and scary. This is what the original turnaround for the Writhing Sorcerer looked like...

Writhing Sorcerer
© 2005 Wizards of the Coast LLC

The Writhing Sorcerer actually had earlier variation when I was working out the concept. In the earlier version I had given it some holes on the head to give it a 'face', an element I still like to this day. This was vetoed for a more soulless mass of worms on the head. I was also asked to increase the size of the worms as I had originally drew them for sculpting ease and to make the cape more dynamic. This is how that original design looked...

Writhing Sorcerer - original concept
© 2005 Wizards of the Coast LLC

This was a pretty straight forward monster and design for me. It was good enough, but I always wondered if I could have done more or have made it more interesting. I think it was generally well received except for some grumblings on the forums about the 'silly skull' on the back of the cloak. I think like many of these Dreamblade pieces that it was very much up to me to make the mini something stand out and special rather then just another mini. This is something I have learned more and more about as I have gained experience and understanding of how the industry works. The art order is all well and good, but it is my job to take it to the next level, not to just make sure I tick off all listed details in the art order. Here is how the final Writhing Sorcerer miniature turned out...

Writhing Sorcerer
© 2005 Wizards of the Coast LLC

I had not idea that the mini would incorporate translucent plastic and I am sure when the art order was given out neither did anyone in production, but it would have been nice to know. As I approached the idea of redesigning this mini I thought to myself how to better use the translucent plastic. I also wanted to address some of the other elements that I just did not like about the original design. Here is my 2012 version of the Writhing Sorcerer...

Writhing Sorcerer Redux
© 2012 Christopher Burdett

If it is going to have translucent plastic why not make sure it has a large mass of 'magic' going from its book to the casting hand to make the entire piece more interesting and unique. I also gave it back a 'face' with some glowing 'eyes' - something that most likely would never translate to the mini, but I like them. I also never like it having legs and feet and the idea of the Writhing Sorcerer being a massive mass of worms just about to erupt from under the clothes a much more interesting idea rather then a mass of worms neatly in some pants. I also tired to add some complexity and interest to the robes and equipment. I got rid of a lot of the skull and worm pattern motifs, not sure if it was really understood and the size of the mini was always a limitation. Not sure if production would have gone for this version if I had offered it up seven years ago, but this is how I would have liked to have design the Writhing Sorcerer now.

That is all for another exciting Wednesday on the blog, see you back here on Friday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

4 comments:

  1. The robe and deep hood make much more sense. The magic emanating from the book into the casting hand is a great idea. I also like that neither version has normal fingers, but rather an ill defined "hand". I can totally picture the writhing, bulging sleeves as it weaves it's magic. Very unnerving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, there were some things that over the years really started to bug me about my original design. Who know if they would have been accepted... but I can at least imagine what could have been.

      Delete
  2. Good idea taking off its legs. It implies that any second those worms can disperse and cause all types of trouble instead of being restricted to the clothes. blegh, I'm creeped out. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Glad it resulted in appropriate creepy outedness! :D

      Delete