Wednesday, September 14, 2022

Aartuk Warrior - Dungeons & Dragons - Process

Today, I am happy to share the process and steps for one of my contributions to the Dungeons & Dragons supplement, Spelljammer Adventures in Space. This is the second of two contributions to the book, depicting Aartuks. The Aartuk are a plant monster that can be found in space, as these things typically are. Here is the final painting for the Aartuk Warrior.

Aartuk Warrior
Spelljammer Adventures in Space
11 x 14 - Digital
Art Director - Kate Irwin
© 2022 Wizards of the Coast LLC

The Aartuk are established Spelljammer monsters, but this time around, they were getting reworked and updated. Most of the design work was already done when I received the assignment, but with all of these, I am given the room and freedom to flesh out the creature and add some RAWR to it. The Aartuk Warrior was described as:

This is a Medium creature, about 6 feet in diameter. This aartuk should have an aggressive posture. For example, one of its branches (arms) could be raised threateningly. Its head-stalk should be extended. Aartuk Description. Aartuks are intelligent vegetables. An aartuk’s body has the general shape of a five-pointed star and is covered with thick, flexible bark that can be white, tan, brown, or green. The aartuk needs three or more of its branches to walk, while the tips of its branches end in suction cups that allow the aartuk to climb vertical surfaces and along ceilings. Each suction cup houses a cluster of three retractable pseudopods that can be used to handle and manipulate small objects. The head of an aartuk surmounts a six-foot-tall stalk that can extrude from the center of the star. This head contains the aartuk’s sensory organs.

As I mentioned before, since I was creating two Aartuk images for the book, I needed them to be visually different. This meant that the pose, and later the coloring, needed to be very distinctive and unique. As this is the warrior, and it was requested, I was able to make it look much more aggressive and animated. Here are the thumbnails that I submitted.  

Aartuk Warrior - Thumbnails
 © 2022 Wizards of the Coast LLC

While the Aartuk Elder was one and done - the first thumbnail I created was the one selected - the Aartuk Warrior had its third thumbnail selected. Looking back at them, I feel that the third option was clearly the correct choice and the one that works best. Looking at them now, the first two read more confused to me rather than aggressive. The third option was selected without notes, and I was given the go-ahead to move forward in this direction.

I always do a final traditional drawing for every project to work out the details and to give myself a tangible product from the assignment. Here are the two stages of the Aartuk Elder drawing, the mid-stage line art and the final rendered drawing.
 
Aartuk Warrior
Spelljammer Adventures in Space
11 x 14 - Pencil on paper
© 2022 Wizards of the Coast LLC
 
AartukWarrior
Spelljammer Adventures in Space
11 x 14 - Pencil on paper
Original - SOLD
Art Director - Kate Irwin
© 2022 Wizards of the Coast LLC

As with the thumbnail, the drawing was approved without comment, and it was time to start on the final painting. Here is the painting of the Aartuk Warrior taking shape.

 
Aartuk Warrior - Process 
© 2022 Wizards of the Coast LLC

This assignment was straightforward, and there were no edits or changes along the way. Not that edits or changes are an issue, save they don't spiral and become endless, but it is a pleasure to nail it at every step of the process. As I mentioned in my post for the Aartuk Elder, I have been trying to do a better job of noting how long it takes me to paint monsters. If I recall correctly, this one was in line with the elder and was completed with around five hours in the chair painting. This is an informal account, but it has been the standard lately with this level of work. Here again, is the final painting for the Aartuk Warrior.

Aartuk Warrior
Spelljammer Adventures in Space
 © 2022 Wizards of the Coast LLC

That's all for another exciting Wednesday on the blog. See you back here on Friday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability, head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment