Monday, April 18, 2022

Bribe Taker - Magic: the Gathering - New Capenna Commander

I am thrilled to share with you a new Magic the Gathering art! This time around, it is for New Capenna Commander, and it is my first extended boarders rare. I was asked to depict an imposing, powerful, and wealthy Rhox surrounded by gold and opulence. That was something I could get behind. I present to you the Bribe Taker.

Bribe Taker
Magic the Gathering - New Capenna Commander
14 x 11 - Digital 
Art Director - Dawn Murin
 © 2022 Wizards of the Coast

I had more time in my schedule when this piece rolled around, so not only did I have time for a tonal study, I was able to spend more time on the drawing and fully render it. The drawing and color study will be available through an auction in the coming days. When they go live, I will be posting at length and will update this page with the details.

Bribe Taker - Drawing
Magic the Gathering - New Capenna Commander
14 x 11 - Pencil on paper
Art Director - Dawn Murin
Original - SOLD
 © 2022 Wizards of the Coast

Bribe Taker - Tonal study
Magic the Gathering - New Capenna Commander
14 x 11 - Pencil and paint on paper
Art Director - Dawn Murin
Original - SOLD
  © 2022 Wizards of the Coast

In the coming weeks, I will be sharing the steps and process of making this piece, including all the reference and some, but not all, of the secrets. Some of the secrets will have to wait for a later day. Until then, here is a look at the final card.


Bribe Taker is bad photo card form.

AND WAIT! There is more... Did someone say reference? Here is a treat for you all, one of the main images I used for reference when making this piece. I channeled my inner Rhox, and the magic happened!

I am a Rhox, taking your bribes!
Photo by Achsa Nute

That's all for another exciting Monday on the blog. See you back here on Wednesday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability, head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment