Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Vexed Beanmonger - The Grand Bazaar of Ethra VanDalia

With the launch of IX Online today, I am happy to share one of two new pieces from The Grand Bazaar of Ethra VanDalia, making their debut at this virtual event. It has been a challenging year for most people, and I know many artists have been struggling to create, myself included. This piece marks the first time this year, since the beginning of the pandemic, that I made art for myself. It took months to sit down and work on it, but thankfully it got a little easier over time. I present to you the Vexed Beanmonger.

Vexed Beanmonger
The Grand Bazaar of Ethra Dalia - In the Black
11 x 14 - Pencil, ink, and acrylic paint on paper
Original - Available
© 2020 Christopher Burdett
 
Vexed Beanmonger - Drawing
11 x 14 - Pencil on paper
© 2020 Christopher Burdett

The Vexed Beanmonger is the first piece completed for The Grand Bazaar of Ethra Dalia since the conclusion of the Kickstarter, and this will be appearing in book three, In the Black. The direction that I am taking my work moving forward with my books can be seen here. My character art will now include full environments and give more context and will further world-build the Grand Bazaar. No more isolated figures! 

I designed this piece while the Kickstarter for the book was running. It was meant as a transition piece between the size and complexity of my previous work and the new level of commitment that I was aiming for in the next books. I never imagined that it would be a transition piece from being unable to work during a pandemic and working again. There is a lot of emotion and struggle put into this piece, and I can't imagine another piece more deserving of it. 

I will be sharing the second of the two new Grand Bazaar pieces here on the blog next week, but it can be seen now over at IX Online!
 
As an added bonus, I have some images of the rendering process of this piece so that you can get a better idea of it taking shape.
 
Vexed Beanmonger - Process
© 2020 Christopher Burdett

That is all for another exciting Tuesday on the blog. See you back here on Wednesday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability, head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment