Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Kalaraq Quori - Dungeons & Dragons - Process

Today I have for you the process and steps that went into the most challenging assignment I have had in years. In all seriousness, I stand by this statement. It comes down to a classic case of overthinking, but we will get to that soon enough. The piece in question is the Kalaraq Quori from the Dungeons & Dragons supplement, Eberron: Rising from the Last War. I first shared this piece with you last November upon its release and again in May when the miniature based on my painting was released. To start things off, here is the final painting for the  Kalaraq Quori.

Kalaraq Quori
Dungeons & Dragons - Eberron: Rising from the Last War
11 x 14 - Digital
Art Director - Kate Irwin
© 2019 Wizards of the Coast LLC

In theory and on paper, this should be a straightforward and VERY easy assignment. It is a shadow monster surrounding by glowing eyes. Done and done... right? I was even sent reference of other monsters that this was pulling from and the style of look and feel that production wanted. All the pieces were laid out in front of me, and somehow, it all went wrong. Early on, though, it was still fine and moving along well. This monster's design and look came straight from my head, and I did not shot reference for this assignment. While I could have made a maquette, it would have been a lot of time put into something that I would not get a great from. This type of monster, at least the form and design, is well within my wheelhouse and things I have worked on for years. There was no reason to believe I could not pull this from my head. Here are the thumbnails for the Kalaraq Quori that I submitted. 

Kalaraq Quori - Thumbnails
© 2019 Wizards of the Coast LLC

Option 'C' was selected without notes or revision requests, and I was ready to move onto the drawing. As mentioned here on the blog many times, I love the drawing portion of the assignment best of all. In this case, I barely had a moment or two to enjoy myself before the drawing was completed. This creature in a 2D world is basically a silhouette, and much of what makes it unique will come in the painting with the addition of light effects and the creation of volumes. Here is the drawing that I submitted for the Kalaraq Quori.

Kalaraq Quori
Dungeons & Dragons - Eberron: Rising from the Last War
11 x 14 - Pencil on paper
Art Director - Kate Irwin
© 2019 Wizards of the Coast LLC

The drawing was approved without notes or revision requests, and everything was still moving along just fine. Now it was time to paint, and my brain just went into overdrive, trying to figure out what was too much or too little in regards to rendering, form, and information in the assignment brief. This is when the painting, repainting, re-repainting, and the starting over began. While the process animation below may seem straightforward, what was lost was the sheer amount of time and energy that when into this piece. Not to mention what was simply erased or deleted in the process of painting. Ultimately, the real issue that I could not get my head around was how volume and form to give to a shadow that may or may not be simply that, a shadow. I strive to have my work turned in well before my deadline. Always have done this, and in all but one or two cases, my work is turned in a week or more before it is needed. I have never missed a deadline, and nothing done for clients has ever been late. This is just how I work, and part of my production planning. I reworked this piece so much that I finally turned this piece in a day or two before the deadline. I was hoping that if I had to repaint the entire thing, or do major revisions that I would have time to still get it back to the client before the deadline. Here is the process of the Kalaraq Quori taking shape as a painting.

Kalaraq Quori - Process
© 2019 Wizards of the Coast LLC

When I turned this assingment in I was very nervious since I had lost all confidence with the painting. I told my art director how this was a hard one and that I got into my head and overthought it. I appologized if I completely missed the mark, but this was a first for me, and I got into my head with this piece, and it all kind of went wrong. My art director was happy with the piece, and it was approved with not one revision. So, there is that. Even after two decades of doing this stuff, you can still out think yourself and make the whole process harder when it doesn't need to be. Here again, is the finished painting of the Kalaraq Quori.

Kalaraq Quori
© 2019 Wizards of the Coast LLC

That's all for another exciting Wednesday on the blog, see you back here on Friday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

1 comment:

  1. Love these posts, thank's for sharing!

    ReplyDelete