Thursday, August 9, 2018

Gen Con 2018 - Day 1

Today I am sharing some images and thoughts from day 1 of Gen Con, which was exactly a week ago today. One week past and it is already starting to feel like it was a million years ago. I have said it, friends have said it, but Gen Con goes by much to quickly and there is never enough time while you are there. That is why it is important to make the most of the moments. Unfortunately, my sleep schedule got all messed up going into the con and only got worse while I was there. This led to me bowing out early several evenings with the rest I was looking for never arriving. Of course now that I am home again my sleep is right as rain. Anyway, but to Gen Con...

Thursday was a busy day for sure. It ended up being my least profitable day, but it sure felt bust and there was a lot going on. Of course there were sales that happened on Thursday that did not conclude until Saturday or Sunday, and that is why I look at the con as a whole and not worry about the day to day sales. ...even though I worry. A little. Saw a LOT of familiar faces both behind and in front of tables. I don't really recall any down time, it was a steady flow all day and it is hard to find fault with that. There are two distinct sounds of Gen Con, the roar of the crowds outside the hall before they are let in on Thursday and the cheers of the exhibitors at the end of the day on Sunday. This year's roar, while not as terrifying as last year, was something to fear. I did a lot of sketching on things the first day, which is why my sketch rate at cons went up this year. Thursday afternoon was also the panel I was a part of that focused on being an artist in the the tabletop gaming industry. It was a load of fun and I think we all could have talked for at least another hour without any trouble. The nights of Gen Con are filled with friends, food, and fun.

Here are some images from Day 1 of Gen Con 2018...

Even before the hall opened there were hundreds already playing and enjoying games throughout the convention center.

A small glimpse at the crowds awaiting entry into the main hall.

A quick look around from my table before the crowds...

...and a look in the other direction.

A look up over the wall.

 Another look up over the wall. 

And another look up over the wall. Look at that nice new Art Show sign that spins!

A gelatinous cube was one of the requested sketches this year.

As well as a treasure chest and a mountain of gold and riches.

Apparently the gelatinous cube was a popular request this year.

Another rust monster, a classic monster and a fan favorite.

I was thrilled beyond thrilled to receive another one of these hand made 3D Magic card sculptures. This is my second one with my first gifted to me last year. These pieces are amazing and I am humbled to have one made for me, let alone two. This are prized pieces and they are very special to me. I can not thank the creator of them enough!

A peacock sketch on the back of a peacock card.

A look out at the crowd for our talk. It was really great and there were lots of good questions during the Q&A.

The dinner crew Thursday night. Much pizza was consumed!

That is all for another exciting Thursday on the blog, see you back here tomorrow for more coverage of Gen Con! Until then...


For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment