Friday, November 7, 2014

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion - Passk PROCESS

Back in July, I shared with you my contribution to the most recent Fantasy Flight Games RPG, Age of Rebellion. Today I have for you the process that went into one of those pieces, Passk the Trandoshan. By now, you should be more than aware of my love for the Trandoshan and how much I enjoy working on them. Passk offered up an enjoyable opportunity to do something a little different and a lot more fun. First things first, here is how the final Passk turned out...

Passk the Trandoshan
© 2014 Lucasfilm, Ltd. TM Lucasfilm, Ltd. Under license to Fantasy Flight Games

The assignment for Passk was to depict a flamboyant dandy of a Trandoshan that owner a curiosity shop that appears in the adventure provided in the Age of Rebellion book. The first thing I thought of was one of the outfits that I had for my Trandoshan in the Star Wars MMO, Star Wars Galaxies. To be honest, when I approach working on Trandoshans, I am either channeling Bossk from the Empire Strikes Back or Scitro, my character that I played for several years in Galaxies. Here is the only surviving image of Scitro in red that I have...

Scitro, my Trandoshan bounty hunter that I played in Star Wars Galaxies
(In his festive red attire, RAWR!)

As usual, I got things started with some thumbnails of a space lizard man in red. I posed for some a reference shoot with a cane in hand doing my best impersonation of a dandy lizard. Holding a cane really help get into character. Here are how the thumbnails turned out...

Passk the Trandoshan - Thumbnails
© 2014 Lucasfilm, Ltd. TM Lucasfilm, Ltd. Under license to Fantasy Flight Games

While 'A' was the obvious winner, I still very much like what was going on in 'B.' He just looks saucy and up to something. I might have to revisit that thumbnail, at least only as a drawing for some personal fun. With a thumbnail selected, I was ready to move forward with the final drawing...

Passk the Trandoshan - Drawing
9 x 12
Pencil on paper
© 2014 Lucasfilm, Ltd. TM Lucasfilm, Ltd. Under license to Fantasy Flight Games
Original Drawing - SOLD

This was a fun one to working and wad completed much too quickly. Never enough time to savor the drawing time on the space lizards. The drawing approved it was time to get started on the painting. In just eight easy steps, the painting came together (or not)...

Passk the Trandoshan - Process Steps
© 2014 Lucasfilm, Ltd. TM Lucasfilm, Ltd. Under license to Fantasy Flight Games

I think the biggest unforeseen aspect of this piece was my decision to add a monocle to Passk at the end of the painting him. Not sure why I didn't think of giving him a monocle sooner, but I am definitely glad I thought of it. I think it really sends it over the top. Here is an animated thing of the painting coming together...

Passk animated process thing...

By now, these isolated figure pieces practically make themselves. So concludes another Trandoshan piece to add to my growing collection of space lizard me. Here again, is how the final piece turned out...

Passk the Trandoshan
© 2014 Lucasfilm, Ltd. TM Lucasfilm, Ltd. Under license to Fantasy Flight Games

That is all for another exciting week on the blog, see you back here on Monday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment