Monday, November 3, 2014

Dungeon & Dragons Monster Manual - Water Weird - Redesign

Another week and another new monsters that I redesigned for 5th Edition Dungeons & Dragons! This time around it is the crazy water elemental monster, the Water Weird. Here is how the final concept turned out...

Water Weird - Dungeons & Dragons Monster Manual - Redesign
© 2014 Wizards of the Coast

The Water Weird is one of the monsters from the original Monster Manual that I am really looking forward to redesigning for my personal redesign project. Obviously, when the Water Weird came across my desk for 5th Edition I was VERY eager to take on. Of course this now means I will have to come up with more ideas when I get around to designing the WW for myself. As with all the monsters, I got started with some thumbnails to get my ideas flowing...

Water Weird - Thumbnails
© 2014 Wizards of the Coast

The Water Weird is one of those monsters that I could just sketching and sketching. I had to limit my submission to six or it would have just gotten out of hand. Option "B" was the winner in the end and it was time to flesh out the design with the final drawing...

Water Weird - Drawing
9 x 12
Pencil on Paper
© 2014 Wizards of the Coast

The drawing was approved without comment and I was ready to move onto the final color concept. Every step of the way the Water Weird was a really easy monster to work on. Here is how the final color version of the Water Weird turned out...

Water Weird - Final Redsign
© 2014 Wizards of the Coast

The final color comp was approved and another monster was all done. I was really excited to work on the Water Weird and the entire process went quickly and smoothly. Not sure I would have desired a situation that would have resulted in more stories, but as excited as I was to work on this monster it just felt it was over very quickly. 

A HUGE THANKS to Jon Schindehette for all the monsters and direction during the design phase of 5th Edition!

That is all for another exciting Monday on the blog, see you back here on Wednesday for another new monster! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment