Friday, January 31, 2014

The Lost Colossus - Process

Today on the blog I have for you the process that went into my very first traditionally painted piece that was completed for a client. I am of course referring to the mighty Lost Colossus that was for the Legend of the Five Rings: Gates of Chaos expansion. Somehow this one slipped through the cracks. I painted this in late 2012 and the piece was released in August of 2013 (if I remember correctly). Here is for the final piece turned out to refresh your memory...

The Lost Colossus
12 x 16 - Acrylic on board
Gate of Chaos expansion
© 2013 Alderac Entertainment Group

Like every other pieces that I create the Lost Colossus began with a thumbnail stage. Unlike the rest of the pieces I create there was pretty much just ONE thumbnail that I was working with. I REALLY knew what I wanted to do with this piece and before sketching I took a ton of reference photos that I cobbled together to make myself into a four armed three faces giant statue. I really don't recommend doing just one thumbnail... but I have had a really great working relationship with Adrian over at AEG and I was confident that I was moving in the right direction with this piece. I spent a lot of time working out the concept to make sure it was the way I wanted it before turning it in...

The Lost Colossus - Thumbnail
© 2013 Alderac Entertainment Group

I did not make a mistake and my gamble paid off... the thumbnail was approved without issue. Now that I had an approved thumbnail and loads of reference... I was ready to begin the drawing. Since I was planning on creating this traditionally I knew I needed to have a really solid worked out drawing. I did not have the luxury of being able to make revisions and changes on the fly like I can working digitally. I took my time with the drawing and worked everything out...

The Lost Colossus - Drawing
© 2013 Alderac Entertainment Group

The drawing was rejected and I had to start over from the beginning...

Just kidding. The drawing was approved and I was ready to start smearing mud around with stick... and boy, was I nervous about that prospect. At this point in my career when I am ready to start my digital paintings I am mentally already two or three steps into the process working things out and making decisions. I don't really have any fear or worry about the prospect of the painting... maybe something in a piece will need some extra attention, but I know without a doubt that the piece will see the finish line. Not so much with the traditional work yet. I am really hesitant to begin as my mind is filled with everything that could go wrong... including the whole painting going down the tubes. In the process of creating a traditional painting I eventually get to a point where I know it will be alright, up until then though... it is nerve wracking. Here are a bunch of images of the painting coming together...

The Lost Colossus - Process steps
© 2013 Alderac Entertainment Group

In just 15 easy steps you too can have a Lost Colossus... or not... In the end this was a very successful test for myself and I was very happy to have faced the challenge. It at least gives me the encouragement that I can create a traditional image on a deadline ... and not die. I am still not anywhere near a 100% success rate with my traditional pieces yet. As mentioned elsewhere, I attempted to create my next two L5R assignments traditionally and had to abandon both and had to complete them digitally. Live and learn! As of right now I am working on my third traditional piece for a client... here it hoping this one makes it over the finish line!

Again, here is how the final painting turned out as well as the final production card that it was made for...

The Lost Colossus
12 x 16 - Acrylic on board
Gate of Chaos expansion
© 2013 Alderac Entertainment Group

The Lost Colossus - In handy card form

That is all for another exciting week on the blog, see you back here on Monday for a BRAND NEW MONSTER! RAWR! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

2 comments: