Monday, February 3, 2014

Basilisk - Lands and Legends

I recently finished a personal piece / commissioned piece of a most monstrous nature. Perhaps you have heard of Lands and Legends, the first in a series of art anthologies being put together by Michael Publishing, LLC? If not, you should head over to have a look at look, there is a very impressive list of artists involved with the project... as well as myself. My contribution to the book is the mighty King of the Serpents, the Basilisk...

Basilisk
© 2014 Christopher Burdett

First, since most of the work I show here on the blog is a year or more old by the time I can share it, if you were wondering what my digital work looks like RIGHT NOW... well, there you go. Secondly, the Basilisk is described in mythology as the king of the serpents and is sometime portrayed with multiple limbs... I took is a bit further and created a God King of the serpents for my Basilisk. I wrote a little more about this monster, but that is for the book.

I created this piece at a higher DPI then I usually work at as well as a larger size then was needed for the commission, so I have a nice huge file of this guy for my own uses. By doing this I also taunted myself with that much area to render with all the details. Speaking of details, here is a detail of the painting so that you can get a better a look at it...

Basilisk - Detail
© 2014 Christopher Burdett

Not close enough? Here is a piece of the painting at 100% for your viewing pleasure. Just look at those pixels! RAWR!

Basilisk at 100%... RAWR!
© 2014 Christopher Burdett

I will have more about the Basilisk and the Lands and Legends book as things progress. In the coming weeks I will also bring you the process that went into making this King of Serpent Kings!

That is all for another exciting Monday on the blog, see you back here on Wednesday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment