Friday, March 19, 2021

Dungeons & Dragons - Candlekeep Mysteries - Part 2

On Wednesday, I shared with you the first two of the four paintings that I have in the Candlekeep Mysteries, the newest gaming supplement for Dungeons & Dragons. If you missed that post, please check it out since it will contain a little more detail about this project and where I was at in the world when I worked on it. Here is a look at the book to get things rolling. 

 
Candlekeep Mysteries

Unlike the Skitterwidget and Kiddywidget, the second of the four pieces in the book are unrelated. One painting depicts a figurine of Orcus that has been carved out of the petrified heart of an Ogre if I remember correctly. The other painting is a little Sprite who is having a terrible, very emotional day, and she is heartbroken about the state of things. While both can fall under the monster umbrella, each of these pieces is a little outside my comfort zone. One is an object, and the other is a human-like female creature. Here is the final painting for the Orcus Figurine.

Orcus Figurine
Candlekeep Mysteries
11 x 14 - Digital
Art Director - Kate Irwin
© 2021 Wizards of the Coast LLC


Since the final painting for this piece is digital, the only original for it is the drawing. As mentioned in more recent D&D releases, I have begun fully rendering my drawings for my client work. Here is how the drawing for the
Orcus Figurine turned out.

Orcus Figurine - Drawing
Candlekeep Mysteries
11 x 14 - Pencil on paper
Art Director - Kate Irwin
© 2021 Wizards of the Coast LLC

Next up is Thunderwing the Sprite. I was a little surprised to receive this assignment, but I am not one to back down from a challenge or an assignment. Not to mention there was no reason that I would be unable to successfully complete it. My wife was nice enough to step in to pose for Sprite reference, and after an unsuccessful first round of thumbnails, it was all a matter of going through the process I have used for years to produce my work. Here is the final painting for the Thunderwing the Sprite.

Thunderwing the Sprite
Candlekeep Mysteries
11 x 14 - Digital
Art Director - Kate Irwin
© 2021 Wizards of the Coast LLC
 
Again, the only original for this creature is the drawing. Here is the final drawing for Thunderwing the Sprite.
 
Thunderwing the Sprite - Drawing
Candlekeep Mysteries
11 x 14 - Pencil on paper
Art Director - Kate Irwin
© 2021 Wizards of the Coast LLC

Lastly, here is a look at the Orcus Figurine and Thunderwing the Sprite in the book. They printed beautifully, and I hope that in the fullness of time, Thunderwing the Sprite might become miniatures.

Figurines and Sprites in book form!
 
 That is all of another exciting week on the blog. See you back here next week! Until then...
 
For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability, head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment