I got my hands on a copy of the Candlekeep Mysteries, the newest gaming supplement for Dungeons & Dragons, yesterday. This means I can now share with you four new D&D monster paintings and four new drawings associated with the paintings. I worked on this book in 2020 as I was working on getting back on the art horse and generating pieces again. When this assignment came along, I felt much better about making art and decided to take on a few more pieces than I had been taking on the previous projects. I settled on four pieces, and it was the perfect number. I have the first two pieces for you today, and be sure to come back on Friday to see the other two! Here is a look at the book to get things rolling.
These first two monster paintings are a pair. The assignment was to design and create a parent and child construct. I designed paired versions in the thumbnail stage so that they felt related to each other. The Skitterwidget is the parent, and the Kiddywidget is the offspring. These were a blast to design and paint, and I couldn't be happier with how they turned out. Production was pleased with all of my creations for the book, but I heard that they especially liked how these two mechanical critters turned out. Here is the final painting for the parental unit, the Skitterwidget.
Since the final painting for this piece is digital, the only original for it is the drawing. As mentioned in more recent D&D releases, I have begun fully finishing my drawings for my
If you are interested in this piece, please know that this particular drawing has some slight damage. As mentioned before, my cat got into my flat file and, unfortunately, had too much fun with a couple of my drawings. This was the second of the two drawings damaged. A small bite is taken out of the top of the paper. Other than that, the drawing is intact. Here are a couple images of what the damage looks like.
Next up is the Kiddywidget. Of all of the pieces for this assignment, this is my favorite by far. I really like how this juvenile design turned out, as well as the color palette and paintwork on the final. The Skitterwidget was painted first, so I could play off of that and soften things and lighten the overall look of the construct. Here is the final painting for the Kiddywidget.
Lastly, here is a look at the two Widgets in the book. They printed beautifully, and I hope that in the fullness of time, they might become miniatures. I hope players have a lot of fun interacting with them!
That is all of another exciting Wednesday on the blog. See you back here on Friday! Until then...
Post a Comment