Wednesday, August 5, 2026

Rikala, Homarid King - Mystery Booster Commander

I am beyond excited to share with you my very first legendary monster for Magic the Gathering. Last year I was contacted by Kez Laczin because there was a monster with my name on it that needed to be made, and I am not sure that has ever been more accurate than this assignment. I present to you the mighty Rikala, Homarid King!

Rikala, Homarid King
Magic the Gathering - Mystery Booster Commander
14 x 11 - Pencil, ink, and acrylic on paper with digital finish
Art Director - Kez Laczin
 © 2026 Wizards of the Coast
 

And you did read that correctly, this piece is traditional with a digital finish. I created a finished illustration in my personal style, the style I create all of my work for the Grand Bazaar. And after that image was completed, I glazed my art with color and made adjustments to create the final published image. At the end of the day, my traditional piece shines through. Here is the traditional final for this piece.

Rikala, Homarid King
Magic the Gathering - Mystery Booster Commander
14 x 11 - Pencil, ink, and acrylic on paper
Art Director - Kez Laczin
 © 2026 Wizards of the Coast
I made an animated GIF to show the glazed color over the traditional image. 

I could not be happier with this piece. This was a long time coming and likely should have happened sooner. At the end of the day, I am a drawer. I work best with pencil on paper, and I will create the best forms, volumes, lighting, and images when I am drawing. The color then goes down over it to create the image that Wizards needs for the game. But I first created the images I wanted to create. There is also my sketch that was created for approvals before I worked on the final. 

Rikala, Homarid King Sketch
Magic the Gathering - Mystery Booster Commander
14 x 11 - Pencil on paper
Art Director - Kez Laczin
 © 2026 Wizards of the Coast
Lastly, I present to you the published card. I cannot wait to get my hands on these, I am so happy with how it looks on the card. 

That is all for another exciting Wednesday on the blog. See you back here on Friday, or maybe tomorrow, I just don't know anymore. Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability, head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment