Monday, August 29, 2022

A World of Stories - The Grand Bazaar of Ethra VanDalia

I am thrilled to share another new piece from The Grand Bazaar of Ethra VanDalia. This illustration is for Book Two: The Completed Circle. This is the first completed large environmental piece for book two and will be the first large plate in the book. The piece I am currently working on will play against this one as we step back several thousand years to follow the epic story of a farmhand as they leave home and travel to the Grand Bazaar in its early days. A World of Stories was meant to be part of book one, but there wasn't the time, and in the end, or space to include it. I had thought it would have to wait till book three, but as I laid out and organized book two, it found a home. It all worked out for the best because this piece had to wait. I was given time to rethink it and make changes to bring more of a narrative and tie it into the other larger pieces in the book. It is also nice to finally show off what is in the sky above the world of Kiervis and the Grand Bazaar. Namely, one of the moons of Kiervis and the close planetary neighbor, Errish, and her moons. The world of the Grand Bazaar is indeed a world of stories, and book two will focus on one of them and open the door for many moreI present to you A World of Stories.

A World of Stories
The Grand Bazaar of Ethra Dalia - The Completed Circle
16 x 20 - Pencil, ink, and acrylic paint on paper
Original - SOLD
© 2022 Christopher Burdett

A World of Stories - Drawing 
16 x 20 - Pencil on paper
© 2022 Christopher Burdett
 
This is the first of three larger pieces I am currently working on. Once they are completed, I will move back to a pair of connected character illustrations, which will be followed by the first of two huge pieces that I have planned for the book. Always more to do, but as long as I stay focused, they will all get completed. Here is a look at the sketch for A World of Stories to show where it began.

A World of Stories - Sketch 
Digital
© 2022 Christopher Burdett

As a bonus, I have some images of the rendering process of this piece so that you can get a better idea of it taking shape.

 
A World of Stories - Process
© 2022 Christopher Burdett

That is all for another exciting Monday on the blog. See you back here on Wednesday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability, head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment