Wednesday, May 5, 2021

Skitterwidget - Dungeons & Dragons - Process

Today, I am happy to share the process and steps that went into one of my four illustrations in the recently released Dungeons & Dragons supplement, Candlekeep Mysteries. For this installment, I am sharing the Skitterwidget. The Skitterwidget and Kiddywidget were a pair of pieces that needed to be adult and child versions of a mechanical dog-cockroach-like construct that the players would encounter. The design was entirely up to me, and I always love these types of assignments. Here is the final painting for the Skitterwidget.

Skitterwidget
Candlekeep Mysteries
11 x 14 - Digital
Art Director - Kate Irwin
© 2021 Wizards of the Coast LLC

While I am focusing on the Skitterwidget in this post, I designed the Skitterwidget and Kiddywidget in adult and child pairings. This way, production could look at the two versions and pick their favorites. I wanted them to have a familial connection and not look like two random robot creatures. Since I had free range with the design process, save for them being reminiscent of a mechanical dog-cockroach. I pulled designs from my head and worked them up or abandoned them as I moved through options. In the end, I submitted three pairs of designs.

Skitterwidget - Thumbnails
© 2021 Wizards of the Coast LLC
 
Kiddywidget - Thumbnails
© 2021 Wizards of the Coast LLC

I believe production requested the Skitterwidget options 'B' and left the selection of the Kiddywidget up to me. While that is nice to have the freedom to select what I wanted, I needed to also use option 'B' of the Kiddywidget. I really liked the Kiddywidget option 'B,' but as a pairing, my favorite was 'C.' Option 'B' was a close second. Now that I had a thumbnail, it was time to get started on the final drawing.

Skitterwidget - Drawing
Candlekeep Mysteries
11 x 14 - Pencil on paper
Original - SOLD
Art Director - Kate Irwin
© 2021 Wizards of the Coast LLC

I won't go over the ups and downs of this drawing all again as I have shared information about it enough already. The drawing was approved, and I was given permission to move forward on the painting. There was one note from my art director to make sure that there would be no confusion regarding what piece is the construct's eye. With so many circular forms and it looking back over its shoulder, I understand the need for clarity. Here is the painting of the Skitterwidget taking shape.

Skitterwidget - Process
© 2021 Wizards of the Coast LLC

I painted the Skitterwidget before the Kiddywidget so that I had an adult version of the color palette and overall material guide to then adjust to the child. I will share more about that when I share the process on the Kiddywidget. For this painting, it was mostly about locking in the materials and textures to read like a mechanical creature. It needed to look like it was made of brass, silver, and other less precious metals. I also wanted to give it some wear and tear as if it has been scuttling around a dungeon or castle for a while. It needed to have that lived-in feel. The electric stinger tail was part of the description, and it needed to feel like it was a threat. I leave these types of things generally to the later stages of the painting unless the light generated from them will affect the overall palette or local color of the forms. I also make sure to paint magical and light effects like this on separate layers so that they can be removed easily or changes quickly. After having to go back in and make a significant edit to lighting or an effect of this nature, to learn that it is sometimes worth the extra effort and time upfront to make things much easier at the end if something should change. Here again, is the final painting for the Skitterwidget.

Skitterwidget
11 x 14 - Digital
© 2021 Wizards of the Coast LLC

That's all for another exciting Wednesday on the blog. See you back here on Friday! Until then... 

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability, head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment