Friday, September 11, 2020

Earlier Ethra VanDalia Etching Surfaces

I was recently cleaning up files and organizing an archive for The Grand Bazaar of Ethra VanDalia when I discovered an even older scan of my original etching of Ethra from 1998 that I had forgotten I had. The zinc plate that ultimately became the first image of Ethra went through several iterations as we practiced different etching techniques. While I knew I had the final, I had completely forgotten that I had a scan of the plate early on, before the aquatint application, when the plate was mostly line work and scrapping. Here is the newly discovered scan.

Eathra Van Daillia Completes the Gems of Power
Etching on paper  - Test print before aquatint
11.7 x 17
© 1998 Christopher Burdett

To be honest, I am not sure how many people will find this interesting, but I was thrilled to find the file and have one more piece of the origins of this character and the world I have built. It does show off my questionable anatomy and forms that I liked to draw at the time and some smaller details that were lost in the final etching. Here again, is the final etching that I have shared previously.

Eathra Van Daillia Completes the Gems of Power
Etching on paper - Edition of 8 
11.7 x 17
© 1998 Christopher Burdett

Finally, if I am sharing the original, I need to share the comparison of nearly twenty years of progress honing my craft. I enjoy seeing other artists' comparison images, and looking at mine helps me remember the progress that I have made and why I keep working and pushing myself. 

 
Full circle. 1998 verses 2017.    

 That's all for another exciting week on the blog. See you back here on Monday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability, head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment