Friday, February 9, 2018

Looking Back: Orc Berserker - Dungeons & Dragons Miniatures

Today I am looking back at a miniature design produced for the Dungeons & Dragons miniature game over ten years ago that I have neither shared nor was it ever actually made. The assignment was to design an Orc Berserker for the miniatures game. Ten plus years on, of course, we can see that the miniature was never made. Here is a look at the never produced Orc Berserker...

Orc Berserker
9 x 12 - Pencil on paper (multiple sheets)
© 2007 Wizards of the Coast LLC

As with the previous Orc miniatures I have recently shared this design was created at the same time I created the unfortunate Orc Raider. While I enjoyed and liked all of these Orc designs, for whatever reason I liked the Orc Raider the least. So it would be natural that it would be the one produced. Of course to have any of my designs made into miniatures is amazing, I just wish it had been better received by the gamers. Here is a look at the full turnaround of the Orc Berserker...
Orc Berserker Turnaround
9 x 12 - Pencil on paper (multiple sheets)
© 2007 Wizards of the Coast LLC

As with all on my Orcs there were a lot of revisions as I did not get the Orcish look down the first time around. As mentioned on Wednesday I was not doing the smart things and submitting thumbnails and sketches I was just blundering in with fully finished drawings when submitting my ideas. I would then need to edit the drawing digitally and draw new elements that would be comped in. I certainly got really fast when it came to drawing and editing my drawings. That is a useful skill set. Here is a look at the various stages that the Orc Berserker went through before being approved...
Orc Berserker variants
9 x 12 - Pencil on paper (multiple sheets)
© 2007 Wizards of the Coast LLC


While I am satisfied with the vast majority of my illustration assignments and do not fret how they have or have not aged, I do wish often I could go back and have a chance to redo many of my miniature designs. Not that they are bad, but because I had so much fun doing them and I miss the fun of miniature designs. Not too mention that I would most likely do a much better job if I revisiting them. I have shared plenty of miniature redesigns and makeup concepts that I have reworked as personal practice over the years. Of course I am a HUGE proponent of moving on and not dwelling in the past and over working pieces... so I guess all those designs will stand as they are and I will look ahead to new opportunities.

That is all for another exciting week on the blog, see you back here on Monday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment